Unanswered: Unable to restore DB2 database on Linux

Hi Admins,

We are trying to restore database which is backed up in version 7.2. We have currently installed DB2 9.7 on Linux and are trying to restore database on the same. Is there any version compatibility issue? I need a quick solution on this as we have to meet deadlines.

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't think you can migrate from DB2 v7 directly to v9.x. You'd need to first move from 7 to 8, then from 8 to 9.

Hi,
    you cannot restore database from version 7.x to 9.x

First you need to restore in on version 8 then migrate the db to that version using command db2 migrate db dbname then take a backup from version 8 and then restore it to version 9.7.

Regards,
    Harsh V

Is it possible to restore to the original version instance (7.x) then do an export and import into 9.x? I am sorry I don't know as I have never tried but it seems to me something worth investigating.

edit:
    Sorry, I don't think DB2 has an export option like Oracle has. Ignore me.
    Last edited by hazy_dba; 03-30-12 at 12:13. Reason: bad information

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by hazy_dba View Post
    Sorry, I don't think DB2 has an export option like Oracle has. Ignore me.
    Actually, DB2 has an export option, and while it's not "like Oracle", this (along with the DDL statement extract using db2look) might be an alternative solution.

Unable to restore DB2 database on Linux

well, I am not able to find v8 anywhere. So, it is all stuck up. Is there any other way to obtain v7 and v8?

Quote Originally Posted by doubt_db2 View Post
    well, I am not able to find v8 anywhere. So, it is all stuck up. Is there any other way to obtain v7 and v8?
    Go to the fixpack site and download the latest V8 fixpack, and then install it. It should come with a 90 day Try and Buy license.

But I would consider the export import instead (first create DDL via db2look).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

@Topicstarter. Do you still have v7 running or do you only have an old backup image?
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes