Unanswered: How to connect to BMC Remedy ARS with ms sql server?

Hi all,

Sorry if this might be a very easy question for most of you guys, but I am a complete newbie here.

At work, we are using BMC Remedy ARS, and I have been retrieving data from the server using MS Access. However, because of the large amount of data, it's really slow. So, we are thinking of using MS SQL Server to retrieve instead.

Again, I am a complete newbie here, please correct me if I am wrong. We installed Microsoft SQL Server 2012, and I have been trying to connect to the server with SQL Server Management Studio. But I can't seem to login since I am not sure what my Server Type and Server name is, please help!!

I used Server Type: Database Engine
    Server name: the ip address that I have been connecting on ms access

If I am doing this completely wrong, would someone please kindly guide me!!

Thanks a lot!
    Alan

What version of SQL Server are you running that contains the data?

What is your ODBC String look like when Access connects to the data?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 54
    SQL Server is the default database platform for Remedy, so I'm kind of puzzled by your question.

I would VERY STRONGLY recommend that you explain a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish so that we can help you better.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I am using Microsoft SQL Server 2012. Sorry if I am asking dumb questions, because I am really not an IT guy.

Brett: How do I find out what the ODBC string is?

Pat: I was a little bit confused, I didn't know Remedy data is stored on a sql server platform.

My question is, how do I connect and view the data with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio?

Provided Answers: 54
    Operative word being should, you should be able to connect directly to the Remeday database using SSMS and execute queries against it. Use the same servername and login credentials (probably Windows Authenticated) that you would use from MS-Access.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.