Unanswered: How to Gain SQL Server Work Experience

Hello,

I am about to embark on a new life after graduating from college with a bachelor's degree. I need som guidance as to how I can can some experience and to apply what I have learned from my course study.

Do anybody who had faced the same situtation I would like to pursue after they had completed their degree who have landed a career in SQL?

Please let me know what avenue I need to take. Thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    In the beginning, you have to aim pretty low. Look for helpdesk or PC support jobs, in order to get your foot in the door. Maybe you can get an entry level programming job. Once you are there, you have to absorb knowledge like a sponge, and try to work your way up the ladder.

Provided Answers: 1
    I started by doing data analysis.

I was hired to be a business analyst by a division of AT&T, and the first day on the job I found out they had no data for me to analyze.

So we got a copy of MS Access and, without being even aware of the term at the time, I built a comprehensive enterprise data warehouse over the course of three years.

You can imagine that there was a limit to the scalability on a PC platform, so I then moved on to server-based development and administration.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 6
    I graduated with a BS in Political Science in the height of the late 90s tech boom. I had too much debt from undergrad to think about a couple of grad and law school spots I had lined up, so I got a job with an environmental engineering firm and built a small searchable access database for my own devices and later for the rest of the company that made all of the state and federal epa pollution data searchable by address elements, from their I got a "junior dba" job where I was closing support tickets and working with access, foxpro, asp classic,vb6 and sql server 7. Every successive gig has brought bigger and shinier toys to play with.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    At least in my opinion, the first order of business for someone that wants to work in a business is to be business-like.

Based on the English in your first post, I would guess that English is not your primary language. If you want to appear professional in the English speaking world, take some time (maybe an extra class or two) to learn how to present yourself professionally. This one change can make a world of difference and possibly shave five years or more off the time needed to get to a professional position. If you intend to work in another locale (speaking and writing another language), make sure that your presentation is professional for that locale.

What was your BS field of study? What undergarduate classes interested you? Where do you want to live and start a family, and how soon do you expect to settle down and start a family? What do you envision yourself doing ten years from now (don't get your hopes set on anything, this will almost certainly change but it gives us something to shoot for with our recommendations).?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 1
    Why so ethnocentric Pat?

Maybe he only wants/needs to appear professional in his own country?

I'm a little surprised.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I started as an intern programmer while going to college back in the early eighties. After earning my BSCIS, I landed a job with Big Insurance Company as a Data Center Supervisor. Didn't much take to the job and eventually went on to work mainframe programming for eight years. I know there are plenty of companies that hire intern or entry level SQL work. I believe you'll have to spend time hitting the pavement to find them. Good luck with your career.