Unanswered: bind packages for client to access server

Server: v9.7; db is created with restrictive option
    Client: v9.5

If order for this client to be able to query tables on v9.7 server, a CLP package for that v9.5 fp x version needs to be bound on the server. Because the db was created with restrictive option, public doesn't have bindadd.

In the past, I was telling customers to bind the appropriate bnd/lst file from the client machine (assuming they have the necessary authority/privilege to do so). But if I give them authority to do it and they bind it, it will be owned by that user id.

What do you do? Do you bind it yourself (using the appropriate bnd file) from the server or let clients bind it?

I always do it myself using instance owner authority, even when not using restrictive option. I believe that for a given database, you only need to do a remote client bind once for each fixpack level (assuming the client is different fixpack than server).
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 04-04-12 at 20:15.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I gave a developer bindadd and whatever else she was missing yesterday and she was able to do the bind it from the client machine. But it just created a mess... and I was unable to change the ownership of this package using the instance owner id (had to su to that id and execute transfer ownership from there). I revoked all access and from now on will do the bind myself. Thanks.

FYI, for TRANSFER OWNERSHIP command ..

The privileges held by the authorization ID of the statement must include at least one of the following:
    Ownership of the object
    SECADM authority
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Yes, I saw that. In my case, the instance owner id, db2inst1, has SECADM (it created the db), but I was using it to change the package ownership to itself (db2inst1).