Are wages stagnant?

When I left for Ireland in June 2008, my contract rate in Dallas was $5.7 an hour on W2 with benefits. I came back to Dallas mid-October 2011 and took a contract which converted to salary at 11.8k annually (aggregated) . The base salary converted to $4.7 an hour.

To be quite honest, I was at that salary in 2002. I know the job market is good to hot because I'm getting dozens of job solicitations daily. Unfortunately the contract and salaries are still 2008. Or even pre-2005 from what I've seen.

So my question is "Are database developer/dba wages stagnant?"

I'd really like to make more as everyone would, so are my expectations too high at $6.0 an hour?

P.S. I am no longer with that company.
    Last edited by corncrowe; 04-04-12 at 19:50.

Dallas, TX?

ummm..that's not even minimum wage....I was gonna say something like...anything is better than $0

In your case you might make more money at McDonalds

Or Hooking

Are you sure you got the numbers right?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

you should at least be making $35/hr to $60/hr

Depending on your Years and experience
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser View Post
    Dallas, TX?

ummm..that's not even minimum wage....I was gonna say something like...anything is better than $0

In your case you might make more money at McDonalds

Or Hooking

Are you sure you got the numbers right?
    Move the decimal one place to right.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Ummmm, I am still off my peak salary from when I was contracting, and I had the brains to work for the commercial real estate industry from 2008 to 2010 and my wages were frozen during that period. However, I am back as a fulltime employee and I am set for my highest grossing tax year yet in 2012 (if I can stomach this place that long and I do not hop in the car and ride for a while), so things might be getting better.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Eeek. I should not move to Texas for many reasons, but that is a good one Pat. Although I bet rent is cheaper.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser View Post
    But the cost of living in NYC is way much more than Dallas. Besides the SimplyHired salaries are under what Robert Half's 2012 salary survey listed. For me the average is 90-115k annual. Contract is about 10-20k more. But as I said in my initial post are the wages stagnant from 2005-current? I don't see much change from when I moved to Ireland.