Unanswered: init-script for db2

Hello out there,
    I want to start db2 right up from the start of my linux system. So I looked for a init-skript to resist in /etc/init.d.
    And I found some howtos on the web like this:
    DB2 installation - OpenVZ Linux Containers Wiki and this one:
    developerWorks : Information Management : IBM DB2 Express Forum : How-to: Ubuntu 7.10 Server x86 32-bit ...

but is this desirable?? I think db2 should run with the EUID of dasusr2 or something like this (please correct me) and not with root-rights. Right?

Thank you

/modo

DB2 does run as a non-root user.

Based on the runlevel, /etc/inittab/db2 is called. This script in turn handles the start of the instance as the instnace owner.

if you have done a default install, you can control auto start of an instance using db2iauto command.

db2iauto -on/off <instance name>

This sets a registry variable and the scripts called by inittab/db2 check this variable before starting the instance

HTH
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Does /etc/inittab/db2 exist on some Linux distributions?

At my place, what they do on some servers is to use /etc/inittab to call a script that su to the instance owner and uses -c to execute db2 force application/db2 terminate/db2stop. And a similar one for db2start.

Correction: db2 force application/db2 terminate/db2stop in not in inittab. It's called manually prior to the server reboot (root will su - <instance> -c "db2 force...". inittab just call a scripts that restarts the instance.

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    Correction: db2 force application/db2 terminate/db2stop in not in inittab.
    Thanks!!! Feels better now!
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes