Question Unanswered: Do attachments affect split DB performance

I am using ACCESS 2010-

I am in the midst of creating a DB for a quality group. Attachments play a huge role, as photo's and trend analysis (via excel files) are paramount - as they are all part of the evidence/details. The users will be providing the attachments.

Considering this DB will be used by 10-20 users; I will split the DB (FE will be on the user's local PC and the BE will be on a shared network).

Before I cut this DB loose, I wanted to know if the attachments will negatively affect the performance of the DB (*even though the attachments will be stored on the BE).

I know the question will come up "how many or how big will the attachments be? Well, can't even say.

1- *Are the attachments (photos and excel/word files) stored in the BE?
    2- Are attachments the same as embedded files/photos?

If this is going to be a major potential performance killer, I was thinking that perhaps - users can provide links t the files instead. I hope this is not the case, as I am not sure how i can create something in which the user can attache a file (sending it to some bucket other than the current DB and only providing the hyperlink to review)

Any and all feedback is very much appreciated.

Cheers - George.
    Last edited by Brim; 04-07-12 at 19:40.

Provided Answers: 14
    As a general guideline: never store BLOBs (binary large objects) in an Access database. Store a reference (path/file name, link) to the object that is stored seperately.
    Have a nice day!

Do attachments affect split DB performance

Thank you for the response. I will just remove the attachment feature all together and use Hyper-links instead.

I want to enable the user to upload attachments into a document/file repository - which in-turn automatically produces the link/path info and posts it to the form/table.

Have you ever come across something like this before, or in your opinion does this sound like a major undertaking? I understand Access - however my coding experience is not.

Thank you in advance for any feedback

Cheers - George.