Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

Hello folks.

I have recently been asked to set up a small database for a scholarship program for state college...but there are a few problems. The college will not allow me to make a website within the .edu domain and they have not provided me with any web server or database licensing of any sort. I am capable of creating the database and the associated website from scratch, but i need the platform or programs to do so and i am not sure how to get access to those.

Preferably i would like to create and maintain the DB in MySQL
    I am expecting the DB to not have more than 1 million rows
    user connectivity would be less than 10 at a time, so performance is a non issue

Suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance!

is there any budget ? or must this be done free?

The college organization will be taking over any expenses, so there is some budget, but I am unaware of the specific amount.

I am basically doing this for free, all I am getting is something to put on my resume and a $25 gift certificate to a restaurant in my town.

Well, as far as programming tools you well be definitly going the free route, and that is not impossible to do, but by the end of this your got card might equal out to 2 cents an hour for time put in. Your problem is going to be where to put this thing when it's done and ready to use. Will everyone accessing it be on the same local area network (easier) or anywhere on the internet (harder)?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

This website/DB will be a separate entity from the main university domain, so it will need to be accessible on the internet.

What I was asking was could it live on the university domain, and accessible on the intranet but not the internet? Or are you getting no supprt at all? It sounds like someone is trying to get development done outside the and in spite of the College's IT department. I might give them a Google Docs shared spreadsheet and be done with it.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

The site is not going to be on the university domain. The request came from within a separate organization not associated with the IT department. From what they have told me, the IT department would not assist them with this project.

Eventually, after production, this website and DB will be maintained by one or two people within the organization.

Update: the allowed monthly cost of this (after production) will be between $30 and $40.