Unanswered: Newbie to Informix - looking for some guidance

Hello,
    I am currently administering an Informix-based server and would like like to learn more about databases in general, but Informix specifically, and how to run queries off of them. I'm a total newb but eager to learn and see where things lead me. Can someone point me to a book about Informix for beginners that I can use to start learning?

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,

welcome in our community. You will like it.

There is an old publication, which you can free from the net, which is a good and complete starter about Informix.

It is called Informix unleashed written and compiled by a team of writers.

Some information needs to be refreshed, but it is a good and complete entry point.

Another one is this IBM Redbook, part of a number of IBM Redbooks about Informix, available for free from the IBM website

have fun

Informix info

What version of Informix are you using? The links in the other reply are fairly outdated, depending on what version of Informix you are using. I can probably provide you more specific information.

Provided Answers: 1
    @shartnel

It would be good to put an entry point for beginners in the IBM, if you know someone working in IBM... I have been searching, but could not find :-(

Thank you!

Thank you, begooden. I appreciate the feedback. The Redbook looks pretty awesome and am looking forward to reading it.

Informix info

It is not ideal but I suggest the best starting point to be introduced to Informix is the website: IBM - Informix product family - Relational, embeddable and hassle-free offerings

For more technical information for particular versions of Informix, I suggest the Information Center (product documentation) such as this one for the most current version of Informix (11.7):

IBM Informix 11.70 information center

I hope this helps!

What is the Grep command to show an exact pattern?