Deleting entries

I'm helping "clean up" a 60,000 name database used by a nonprofit before we move to a new system. Are there any rules about deleting entries? As example, a person deceased over 5 years, shows as an inactive or deceased client. I was told you "never" delete entries from a database. Is this a standard rule? To me, logic says get rid of it, since that person will never be a client again. But, I don't want to delete without knowing what is the usual manner for such things.

The odds are pretty good that you'll never use them again, but I've seen it happen. I've been reported "deceased" more than once, but I still do business on a pretty regular basis!

If the rows are actively causing problems (due to poor index design, etc) then consider moving them from the production table to an archive table. If you don't care much about the data, consider deleting it after a few decades. I only delete data when required by law, by management, or after I'm absolutely certain that there is no possible use for it.

-PatP
    Quote Originally Posted by exagranat View Post
    I'm helping "clean up" a 60,000 name database used by a nonprofit before we move to a new system. Are there any rules about deleting entries? As example, a person deceased over 5 years, shows as an inactive or deceased client. I was told you "never" delete entries from a database. Is this a standard rule? To me, logic says get rid of it, since that person will never be a client again. But, I don't want to delete without knowing what is the usual manner for such things.
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

deleting entries

Thanks for your speedy reply. I guess they'll stay.