Question Unanswered: Best Method for Displaying Data from SQL DB on Website?

I've seen several guides using Visual Studio, Dreamweaver and Visual Web Developer. What's the 'best' method? I don't need the functionality of editing or deleting data through a webpage interface I just want to run queries.

Could someone either link to a guide or briefly explain what I would need to do. Would I save the queries in the SQL DB?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    I've seen several guides using Visual Studio, Dreamweaver and Visual Web Developer. What's the 'best' method? I don't need the functionality of editing or deleting data through a webpage interface I just want to run queries.

Could someone either link to a guide or briefly explain what I would need to do. Would I save the queries in the SQL DB?

Thanks.
    I believe method and development platforms are slightly different meanings. I would probably go with VWD or Dreamweaver. Both offer rich development environments for web applications.

Provided Answers: 6
    It is all a matter of taste and from whose cup you are drinking the kool aid and where your experience resides. For me, the best tool for the job will be the one I know best and can do the job the quickest partially as a result of how well I know it.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    It is all a matter of taste and from whose cup you are drinking the kool aid and where your experience resides. For me, the best tool for the job will be the one I know best and can do the job the quickest partially as a result of how well I know it.
    Are you running for office. That was the one of the best suggestions I read in a long time.

I was trying to innoculate the thread against it's own bias. If you post this in a SQL Server forum, there just might be some C#\VB.Net\ASP evangelists laying around. Post it in a Oracle forum and I am sure there will be some Java responses, and in a MySQL forum there will be some crazy talk about PHP or maybe some Ruby On Rails. I would say that the population of people who work regularly enough across these platforms and all of the others enough to render a truly objective opinion is very small.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    I know neither - I know CSS, CSS3, XHTML, HTML5 and use Notepad++!

Well I have done style sheets, and a fair share of XML, but I have not traversed HTML5 while recognizing it as such. It has been a while since I developed anything with a GUI. Web or otherwise. I forget what version I originally learned.

The point is these all sound like presentation layer technologies. You want to talk to your data layer. You need some magic goo in the middle to hold it together and that is your business layer. Now if all you need are reports, then a reporting tool might suffice. There are SQL Server Reporting Services, Crystal Reports, Access and I am sure a plethora of other tools.

If you want to Update\Insert\Delete your data, then we are talking about probably learning a new language.

Thanks for all the advice. I've been playing around with Visual Web Developer 2008 and can run most of the queries I need with in built functions though as EVERYONE suggested it will be in my best interests to use one table! This guide covers how to make a connection and run basic queries.

Walkthrough: Basic Data Access in Web Pages

I use the rhythm method...oh..wait..wrong forum

Just like you heh?

You should look at a forum for web design, not databases...unless you're smart and give up on being fashion designer and become a...wait for it....DBA

Try here

Web Design & Web Development Forum: HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Interesting forum...

...like Palmero, just searching for a way to cleanly and simply deliver info to web interface.

Came across this thread with some deeply pithy and funny remarks, so maybe this is a good place to humbly inject a first post.

Some background:
    Personally, I block JavaScript, ActiveX and Flash when surfing, so do not want it during developing.
    CSS seems to have evolved into destruction reading peoples remarks about it.
    Awesome CSS IS AWESOME mug - Boing Boing

Vi seems to be my only sanctuary seeing how HTML editors too high up on the layer stack are puking code like a sailor on shore leave.

Looking to create a scalable cross-platform hotel booking system.
    Turning on the LAMP seems to be a natural start given my Unix background, although, seems to be some mutiny amoung Perl, PHP, and Python.

Looking for suggestions on "something" to ease the pain on front-end presentation.
    (Can be the lesser of the evils.)

Otherwise, I'm going back to here: How to put your data on the web

(btw, the above link is supposedly the first web site ever created)
    What they must be thinking now. Snakes and Ladders?