Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Automatic HADR Failover

DB2 9.5 - Linux

I have setup a HADR database and looking for ways to automate the failover if/when necessary but I am confused. I know everyone will say use TSA that comes with DB2, fine but I am confused on the term used "Cluster". I have 2 servers (Primary and Standby) but they are not clustered in any way.
    When all the documents mention the term "Cluster", is it something created by TSA or the servers are clustered via some cluster software ?. Is there a way to implement automatic failover without cluster ? If so, can you recommend/give me a link ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mdx34 View Post
    DB2 9.5 - Linux

I have setup a HADR database and looking for ways to automate the failover if/when necessary but I am confused. I know everyone will say use TSA that comes with DB2, fine but I am confused on the term used "Cluster". I have 2 servers (Primary and Standby) but they are not clustered in any way.
    When all the documents mention the term "Cluster", is it something created by TSA or the servers are clustered via some cluster software ?. Is there a way to implement automatic failover without cluster ? If so, can you recommend/give me a link ?

Thanks.
    TSA is a cluster software and cluster will be created by TSA.

There isn't any other efficient method to automate failover without cluster afaik.

Any reason you dont want to use TSA or any other cluster?
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

TSA is fine. I tried to follow the steps but I was not successful in the step of configuring a Quorum device which made me think that we need a third computer with Quorum device that will have the virtual IP address. I am still not sure. I followed the document in below link.

Thanks.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/m...v5.pdf?lang=en

Provided Answers: 11
    quorum and virtual ip are different items
    quorum is to check if we are still on the network and reachable
    vip is for users to use when connecting to the instance/db
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

TSA is fine. I tried to follow the steps but I was not successful in the step of configuring a Quorum device which made me think that we need a third computer with Quorum device that will have the virtual IP address. I am still not sure. I followed the document in below link.

Thanks.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/m...v5.pdf?lang=en
    If you want to use TSA for HADR failover, I would highly recommend you install 9.7 with latest fixpack (and latest TSA). Install and config will go a lot smoother.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    If you want to use TSA for HADR failover, I would highly recommend you install 9.7 with latest fixpack (and latest TSA). Install and config will go a lot smoother.
    Unfortunately we can't. I have been fighting for it for months now but developers (Their boss) are too busy to test their application on newer versions.

So, when it comes to configuring Quorum, I should select # 2 (No) and keep continue ?.

Thanks again.

it would be better to define a quorum (network) that tsa will use for decision if network is lost....
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..

Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    it would be better to define a quorum (network) that tsa will use for decision if network is lost....
    It will require a third server in production and we will not do that for now (Not my decision).....................
    Last edited by mdx34; 04-11-12 at 11:29.

It will require a third server in production and we will not do that for now (Not my decision).....................
    The "third server" can be any ping-able node in the network - preferably highly available. You dont need anything setup on that quoram device.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s View Post
    The "third server" can be any ping-able node in the network - preferably highly available. You dont need anything setup on that quoram device.
    I know but they will not allocate another server for this unless we can use one of the WebSphere application or HTTP servers, even for that, they will complain about using one of those servers as Quorum device will effect that servers' performance.

I know but they will not allocate another server for this unless we can use one of the WebSphere application or HTTP servers, even for that, they will complain about using one of those servers as Quorum device will effect that servers' performance.
    affect performance ?

Hardly!!!

AFAIk, the device is checked only during db2haicu setup and when the HADR comm fails between the primary and standby. So, no performance degradation.

Great thread guys... I'm soon going to be setting up HADR with TSA... I've set up HADR before but not auto failover ... I'm studying the suggested links now, cheers

One quick Q... are the TSA binaries included with DB2 or is it a seperate download?
    Last edited by meehange; 04-11-12 at 21:05.

included with db2 at least for 9.5 and 9.7
    can be installed at anytime if not done with db2 installation (installsam)

Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    included with db2 at least for 9.5 and 9.7
    can be installed at anytime if not done with db2 installation (installsam)
    Thanks ... I'm guessing if you've got HADR you're licensed for 2 node TSA... we're on WSE...

OK I'm trying to get a handle on the TSA stuff, is it just me or does it do way more stuff than you need for a simple failover? Surely with automatic client reroute all you need is something to issue the takeover command when the primary is down?
    All the instructions I've read so far for TSA setup call for clean installs and new LUNs etc all I want to do is is use two existing servers one with DB1 and the other DB2 with Server 1 housing STANDBY2 and vice versa... can I add TSA to my already existing setup without dramas?