Unanswered: Is this possible...

Hi Guys,

Yes i am new to this forum and find myself in a little bit on a pickle.

I want to know if the following is possible as we are trying to migrate 2 sites with the same users but different categories etc....

We want to have a UK site and a USA site but both have the same users so that if one registers on the UK site they can also login on the USA site. BUT we want everything else ie Categories and all other SQL Database lines to be different.

Hope someone can help with this and thanks to anyone in advance for your help.

facebid UK

Provided Answers: 54
    How do you plan to build the web sites? If you are "coding" the sites yourself using PHP, HTML5, or equivalent tools), then this is possible. If you are using some CMS packages (Drupal is what comes right to mind), then this is possible with minor caveats. If you are using a "stock" web platform such as WordPress, I would bet that this would be somewhere between outrageously hard and impossible.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    How do you plan to build the web sites? If you are "coding" the sites yourself using PHP, HTML5, or equivalent tools), then this is possible. If you are using some CMS packages (Drupal is what comes right to mind), then this is possible with minor caveats. If you are using a "stock" web platform such as WordPress, I would bet that this would be somewhere between outrageously hard and impossible.

-PatP
    Ha love your reply, and the good news is the whole site is built in php and html.

The first site is already build Here if you want to take a look.

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, there are several choices.

The easiest answer is to use PHP to open separate connections to two or more different databases. Open one connection to each database, and use each connection distinctly from the others.

If all of the databases are on a single MySQL instance, you can "reach across" between them as appropriate. Depending on your MySQL configuration and the way you architect your data this can be trivial, difficult, or anywhere in between. As you decide on how you want to arrange your data keep the future usage in mind... This may make you make different choices than you'd have made if you hadn't had to consider this.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.