Unanswered: "Enter Parameter Value" Message Box

Hi Everybody,

I have been working on a fairly large and complex Access 2010 DB lately and have now come up against a message box "Enter Paraeter Value" "Lookup_CC.CCN".

It comes up only when I filter the data input form. I can shuffle through the form pages without the message coming up, only when I filter on one of the main form fields does it apear.

I have looked through all of the queries in the DB and not been able to find the error (this doesn't mean it's not there).

There is a field [CCN] in one of the tables [CostCentre] but it is not the primary key and not use by any of the queries.

I don't recognise the "Lookup_CC." part of the message???

Is there a way to track down the source of the error, a tool or menu option to goto the query or form control that requires the parameter?

Help with this problem would really be appreciared.

Thanks

Flip

Provided Answers: 59
    in a query you can request user input for say a where clause.

if you are getting this message and the column exists then effectively the SQL parser cannot find the column name so it presumes its a message to be displayed to the user requesting a value
    so either its a typo OR the column doesn't exist in the query becuase the join is wrongly formed

to diagnose further we'd need to see the table design, the full query and ideally some sanitised data.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi Healdem,

Thanks for the reply.

As you have no doubt worked out I'm a real nube when it come to Access.

What I have done since, is to systematically go through the DB removing the queries one at a time and checking if the message box still appeared, and it did with every query removed.

I then began the same process with my forms starting with the most recently added. This revealed that the message box no longer appears when I removed my most recently added form (a subform inside a subform) with all of the queries reinstalled.

I have gone through all of the fields in the form checking the control source and found no expressions. I then romoved the field that takes data from the table that the message box appears to be referring to, ran the filter and got a new message referring to another table.

I think it may be the way that this form is used. I want to include a split form in my main data input form, but this is not allowed (split forms not allowed to be used as a subform). So what I have done is to replicate a split form by creating a continuous form (for the data sheet part) and adding a single form in the header (for the detail). The continuous form's table primary key is used to link to the single form. I have then added this replicated split form to my main form by linking my main form's table primary key.

Does this give you any more clues as to what I have done wrong?

Thanks

Flip

nope not especially
    however I'd check every bound control, especially list/combo boxes.

my guess is thatr you have a typo somewhere
    you need to narrow down where the fault occurs, and you've made a good start on that.

but first instance
    open whatever query or from or report that shows signs of this problem
    then go through every control
    check to see if its in any code module

one thing you coudl try is when it asks you for a value respond with 1
    and then see what happens with the resultant data

you may need to play around with the value so that you do see some data (you may need to use an alpha or alpha numeric. or any valid value for CCN

sadly there is no equivalent of GREP for searching through MS Access

unfortunately its your application, so really only you know where the problem is and what the data should look like

Hi Healdem,

I don't know what I have done, but the problem has mysteriously disappeared.

I left it and went on with other issues in the DB and once testing of these solutions was complete I checked if I could filter and no message box appeared????

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Regards

Flip

if its mysteriuoulsy gone away without active intervention then it coudl be a sign of partial corruption

I'd be tempted to do a backup of the db
    try the compress option
    check if everything is working
    if thaere are still issues then it may be a smart call to import all objects into a new clean db