Question Unanswered: Blank Form in Form View

Please help. I've built this database three times now (and attached it so it can hopefully be puzzled out). When I add fields to the form from one table, in this case "Records, Main" all show in form view. When I add fields from any other table ("Records, Information", "Customer", for example), the form view turns blank. Even when I remove the added field the form stays blank. Everything is visible in design view, but not form view! The form property "Visible" is "Yes".

I'm completely stuck. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 19
    The situation you describe occurs when

• The Form is Bound to a RecordSource
    • The RecordSource has no Records
    • The Form is Read-Only

Your Form meets all of these criteria!

There are a number of reasons why a Bound Form is Read-Only, i.e. cannot have New Records added, but in your case it is because the Form is based on a Multi-Table, Read-Only Query. The vast majority of Multi-Table Queries are Read-Only, and your Query is based on no less than four Tables! You can follow this link to Allen Browne’s article explaining the reasons this is so:

Microsoft Access tips: Why is my query read-only?

The reason the Detail Section of the Form remains blank, even after you remove the added Fields, is that the Form is still based on the Query that contains all of them.

Entering data for Multiple Tables from a single Form requires that you have a Main Form for the Main Table data and Subforms for the related Tables.

I have no knowledge of your particular business needs in this matter, but in looking at the Query in Design View, it appears that you have a number of identical Fields in the Tables named Records/Information, Records/Planning and Records/Operator. This is almost always the sign of a non-normalized database, and I suspect that this is the case here. Generally speaking, the only Fields that should appear in more than one Table are those ID Fields that are needed to link or relate the Tables together.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Query

When you say "Query" do you mean "Relationships"? I didn't create a query and can't find one to look at in design view (as you've done). Would you suggest I create subforms (from the subtables) and embed them in the main form? I see you suggested that I remove the redundant information from the other tables (escape number, escape date, etc.). Perhaps my reasoning was unsound but I did that so that each of those could be stand-alone data sets. Thanks very much for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Provided Answers: 19
    Access created the Query. In Form Design View go to Properties - Data and you'll see an ellipses (...) to the right of the Record Source Property. Click on this and it will open the Query in Query Design View.

And yes, the standard approach for this type of thing is to use a Main Form with Subforms for the related Tables.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007