Unanswered: How to connect to SQL Server?

Hi all,

I have absolutely no clue whats going on. So when I open SSMS, I click on the "Connect" button under Object Explorer, Database Engines, I type in my Server Name, and Wndows Authentication..then I get this error:

Login failed for user ' '. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

Then I went to check the log,

Error: 18456, Serverity: 14, State: 5.
    Login failed for user ' '. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

Is this because when the person installed the SQL server, he didn't create a user account for me?

How do I approach this? Been doing some research, and found something that said

"First you will start the instance in single user mode, then connect to it and add your login, then add the sysadmin role to your login. Again, this is the resolution if it is a permissions problem and not something else listed in the error log, however this is the most common issue."

How should I approach this problem?

Provided Answers: 2
    In Windows Authentication Mode, your Windows User ID and The IDs of all the local or domain Windows groups to which your user belongs are passed to SQL Server. In your case, neither of them have granted access to SQL Server.

Short answer: Yes, the person that installed the SQL server didn't create a user account for you.
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania

I have admin rights though, what can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by akira919 View Post
    I have admin rights though, what can I do?
    Create the same nt user account in sql server and give yourself the necessary rights and permissions.

How do i do that ? =P

Check the topic below:
    Connecting to SQL Server Using Windows Authentication

Hope this helps.