Unanswered: How to implement multi-level multi-select

I am new to access and so far have been able to find solutions to most of my problems with a simple google search.

I am struggling now with one major issue.

I have a multi-level process map which I would like to allow multiple selections from in a form. The selections would ideally be stored in a single field. So far I have found some related topics that mention listview, treeview, and lookup tables as possible solutions but I am really unclear as to what is the best solution and how to implement this for my problem.

I do need an effectively unlimited number of selections to be able to be stored and queried. I am using access 2010.

If anyone can help get me pointed in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Provided Answers: 59
    there's two issues here
    one is the user interface
    whether you use a multi select combo/list box, a treeview or what ever doesn't matter
    the other is the storing of the selections, storing those as a single coluykn/row ins't a smart call

persoanlly the UI style I'd try to use is simialr to the report designer when you specify what fields to include or sort on.
    ie two list boxes
    one with the available choices, one with the selected choices and move data from A to B to B to A as required.
    one advantage of that approach is that users cannot select the same item more than once
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the advice healdem.

I can come up with multiple ways to implement the UI, but I was hoping there was an existing control that might make it trivial.

I do still have some questions on the design however.

If I effectively create a "yes/no" field for each selectable option in the tree, how do I make the database understandable for future users who may need to modify it. Each field would need to somehow identify where it lies in the overall process map. I could include this in the description but is there a more functional way of organizing this?

Not every level of the process tree would be selectable, only the innermost level of each branch would be selectable.

Provided Answers: 59
    tbh I've never used a tree control (never had the need to), so I don't know if what you are proposing is dooable and if so how you'd do it.
    possibly it depends on how many items there are to select. if there are masses then the double list box can be a bit hostile.
    one advantage of a tree control could be if you want to select a branch point and all items below that branch

as to how you store the data have a sub table with items selected
    when you load that parent item iterate through the items selected table and populate your control in whatever way you need.

thats why your original idea of
    The selections would ideally be stored in a single field
    was in my books a bad choice. but ultimately its your system, its yours to do as you wish
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton