Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Need recommendations on which DB to use

Hi, I'm new to database world, but I'd like to create two for personal use. Offline.

1. The first meant to store some quotations and ideas of books I read, so I can access them later easily by title, category, thoughts or whatever.

1. Also, as I'm studying law I'm interested in building another personal db to store some jurisprudence, doctrine and various notes. Something my memory can't handle and may be useful in the future.

I haven't money to spend on it, so I'd like free solutions. I'd like an easy graphical solution if possible.

I've seen mysql may fit my needs, but I really have no idea at all. ¿What do you recommend me? Thnx!

Try Microsoft Access if you have MS Office installed with a version.

if you can't spend money on it then open office is probably the way to go, assuming that you don't have Access installed

there are other solutions such as PHP/MySQL on a local webserver but I suspect that may be a step too far out of your comfort zone
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

use mysql along with one of the many free front end utilities
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Come to think of it, why not use sql 2008 express. It's free.

I have MS Office and Open Office, but I haven't used them in depth, just to make some calculations and list some vocabulary for learning purposes.

I don't really know if they would be able to handle much information without slowing down my pc or will be good enough in the long run if I get more ambitious, that's why I thought about mysql, which looks more powerful for what I've read.

So If I have to choose between a proprietary software or open software, I'd choose mysql, though If sql 2008 is really easier than mysql I may change my mind.

So in the case mysql is the way to go, I've seen Navicat (Navicat - MySQL Overview - Navicat Oracle, MySQL Backup Tool - the World's Best Oracle Manager, SQLite GUI, SQL Azure, MySQL GUI tool, SQL Server client & PostgreSQL GUI for Windows, Mac OS X & Linux - Download Now!) and phpmyadmin (phpMyAdmin), which are some of those front end utilities r937 told me about right? ¿Which is easier for a newb?¿is there another easier free solution?

For the record, I did two websites like 10 years ago without any db, but maybe that may soften the learning curve.

there's also heidisql, which is the one i use
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

If you want a free solution then I'd stick with Open Office with a MySQL, or possibly a SQLLite, backend

HeidiSQL, Navicat, Workbench etc are all good tools for managing a server but they are not the same as a graphical front end.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

>> slowing down my PC

Lawyer, right?

Did you say you have M$ Office Pro (which has M$ Access)?

How do you plan to populate your database, and with what?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser View Post
    >> slowing down my PC

Lawyer, right?

Did you say you have M$ Office Pro (which has M$ Access)?

How do you plan to populate your database, and with what?
    Yes, I have M$ Access. I was thinking about making two db: one for "law", and another for "books" (fun).

The first db will be about jurisprudence related to some institutions or different precepts, their interpretation and any other related idea I may en up with when studying them. The point is to work faster and better using the db to solve doubts or complete any writing with additional info.

The other one is just to gather some ideas of books I read, so whenever I'm trying to remember "where I read that" or want to think about an idea I can take a look.

No matter what I use I'll need to read newb documents to understand how to build a good db and how to use mysql, access or whatever I end up using. So if you can point me out good free documents I can start reading that will be great.

P.S Sorry for my late answer, I've been kinda busy.

Before you settle down with a database, take a look at Microsoft One Note which is part of Microsoft Office Pro. It isn't really a database so much as it is an organizer... It takes snippets of stuff on your computer and allows you to make notes and associate them with each other as you see fit.

One Note has a great tutorial/overview that appears the first time you use it that only takes about 30 minutes or so. It might be time well spent.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

sql.. it's the most common

Quote Originally Posted by gamal01 View Post
    sql.. it's the most common
    #fail

SQL is a language, not a database
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

I know am speaking of mysql

Why is this replied to more than a month later? Just wanting to increase post count?

I know am speaking of mysql
    Possibly good to know, but adds no value here.

If you spend any amount of time looking at topics throught this entire site, a hi % of the topics deal with sql in one way or another. It is Neither necessary Nor desired for you to repeatedly post "it is best to use sql" or something like it.
    Last edited by papadi; 09-24-12 at 00:04.