Thumbs up Unanswered: At what period Reindex require?

I am having SQL 2008 database with 1 TB size, now for performance purpose developer insist to reindex database after every 15 days for that i need downtime which is cost to the company.
    1) I need your help on deciding that, after what time reindexing is preferable?
    2) is online reindexing effective , and preferable option?

what option i can use other then Index - Reindex - INDEXDEFRAG for better performance.

Please help me on this.

on the wrong server
    Provided Answers: 6
    I would not reindex everything every 15 days as a blanket rule. I would have a job that that monitors the fragmentation of the indexes, and then reindexes the tables as needed. If you need to maintain 24/7/365 up time, there are as I recall newer options in SQL 2008 that let you do this. Here appears to be an adequate article on both monitoring and an online defragging. Both problems solved.

Defragmenting Indexes in SQL Server 2005 and 2008
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Préverenges, Switzerland
    please consider using (or adapt from) Ola Hallengren's script:
    SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, Index and Statistics Maintenance

it handles donothing/reorganize/reindex depending on fragmentation levels that you define (and optionally can do many other good things if you want it to).

zero pain to install/use.
    tested and relied on by thousands of users.

Last edited by izyrider; 04-25-12 at 14:55. Reason: ...forgot the "consider"
    currently using SS 2008R2