Thread: Fill Factor

Unanswered: Fill Factor

SQL Server allows for a lot of defaults, so anyone can get up and running quickly

In DB2 (wel z/os) you mostly have to specify everything, including fill factor

Does anyone have a general rule of thumb how they code fill fgactor for OLTP tables

Heap tables

Code Tables?

Yeah, Yeah, it depends.

What do you?

And you can say nothing, 0 or 100 is ok to

Someone will say, check the amount of fragmentation to determine, but that's after the fact.

Please just post what you do today

Thanks
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 11
    I generally don't touch the default fillfactor. If a table needs to be brought down in size, or is a read-only archive, I will specify 100 for a fill factor on the rebuild of the index, but that is about it for me.

Default on the Build is 0/100 meaning the same thing

Had a Prod DBA tell me to have a fill factor between 50-90.

And Since a Large majority use Identity Columns, a fill factor of 100 makes sense

You won't be incurring page splits

One thing they did mention is that updates may cause a split if the row size increases

Or if you use a Natural Key, you might want to leave room at the bottom of pages for INSERTS

But I betcha, 90% of all Development is using 0
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Provided Answers: 11
    Your prod DBA may be falling for one of the classical blunders. The first of which, is of course, never to get involved in a land war in Asia. The second (and only slightly less important) is that fillfactor only comes into play, when you are building or rebuilding an index. If the prod DBA has something that automatically rebuilds the indexes, he has a point. I have heard that 80% is a good setting for global fillfactor, but again, it depends on a lot of different things.

Here is an example of an update causing a pagesplit:
    Code:
    create table testfill
    (col1 int identity(1, 1) not null Primary key,
    col2 varchar(8000))
    go
    insert into testfill (col2) values (replicate ('a', 3500)), (replicate ('b', 3500))
    go
    select page_count
    from sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats(db_id(), object_id('testfill'), -1, 0, default)
    go
    update testfill
    set col2 = replicate ('c', 5000)
    where col1 = ident_current('testfill')
    go
    select page_count
    from sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats(db_id(), object_id('testfill'), -1, 0, default)
    Wow. An actual use for the ident_current() function. Never been able to figure a use for it, before.

Yes, the entire shops set to rebuilding indexes on a weekly (Saturday Morning) basis.

I did not tell him to do so.

He intimated that this is just "Good Common Practices" that every shop uses.

I would have thought, it was a good practice when the fragmentation was at a high level...which I would not expected for a heap table

My Bad was that I put a clustered index on the table (a sproc logging table) this time. The Clustered rebuild was eating up double the size of the table (in the log, tempdb?) I thought he said the datafile, because the clustered index is stored on the same page as the data.

Which I say, so what? Is any of this true and does it really matter?

I removed the Clustered Index..actually changed it to non unique non clustered

I used to have no Indexes on this table
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser View Post
    But I betcha, 90% of all Development is using 0
    That's a pretty safe bet. Why not? There are other db options that really get overlooked which degrade performance; like parallelism....