The Truth about Database Benchmarks

We constantly seek to lower risk through "evidence" and other statistics such as benchmarks. But what if those benchmarks were not as transparent as you may think?

Randy Merilatt, tells all in his article, "The Truth about Database Benchmarks."

before anyone gets to carried away thanking DB_Pro for that URL, one thing to bear in mind is its almost certainly a link to their, or their employers website.

Presuming that either he isn't confident enough in his own wares to say so, or possibly just hopes to sucker in some interest in their product(s). Who knows possibly DB_Pro is Randy Merilatt in mufti
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I apologize if I have offended you or put this into the wrong section of the forum. It is a link to our website, but it is to a blog post where we briefly discuss benchmarks and how better benchmarks do not always lead to better performance on your application.

I realize that I probably should have put this post into "Chit Chat" as there is no product that I am actually promoting here; just the information contained in our blog.

No, your post shouldn't offend anyone here and the Marketplace Forum is by far the most appropriate place for this sort of post. I don't think that healdem meant that your post was inappropriately placed, but more that your post (and the linked pages) might not be unbiased.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

precisely

there is no harm in promoting software that you find, use or have written. but its usually politer to identify when it is your own wares you are promoting.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Duly noted for future reference. Thanks guys!

To update, the link provided is a blog post by the database company that I work for, Raima. Randy Merilatt, Raima's cofounder, is the author of this post titled, "The Truth about Database Benchmarks".

perhaps it should have been "truthiness" instead of "truth" lol
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL