Unanswered: SQL 2008 High Availability options

Hi,

we currently have a SQL 2008 data warehouse with about a dozen different databases. We would like to have about 5 of the databases replicated or mirrored to another database server.

Since it's a data warehouse, the data only gets loaded during a 3 hour period each morning and the rest of the day it remains static. I'm trying to come up with the best option to copy these databases to a different database server on a scheduled basis in case the main data warehouse is unavailable.

I looked at snapshot replication which seems like it could be a possibility. I'm just worried about how long the process will take. Are there any other options that would make sense given my situation?

thanks

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm a big fan of KISS. Have you considered either backup/restore or log shipping?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

That's because he likes to party ev...eryday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_(band)
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

The issue with Log Shipping is that these database are set to simple recovery. We do have symantec backups running each night on the server.

I'm sure the backup/restore can be automated maybe through SSIS or something. Maybe that's the way to go...

He said KISS

How big are the backups?

I would create a batch file that

Zips the back up
    ROBOCOPY the file to the destination Server
    Use sqlcmd to do a restore

Done

Next
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

the biggest database is about 60GB. the others range from 500MB to about 4GB.

Provided Answers: 11
    If you are using enterprise edition of SQL Server, you can compress the backup on the way to disk.

How much data is changing on an average day? I am relatively sure that transactional replication can be used here, but if the entire volume changes each day, the backup/restore route may be better. If you go with transactional replication, you will need to size your transaction logs appropriately.

most of the databases are loaded fresh daily (tables are truncated and reloaded with new data). We do have enterprise, so i'll have to check out the compression option to see how much space we will need for the backups.