Unanswered: Multi Select on List Box

Hello all, Iím trying to get the multi select function to work for a list box I have on a form that feeds a report.
    Whatís on the form:
    The listbox is named CCList - lists all records from Query CostCenterListing.
    Two text boxes one named startdate and one named enddate.
    A button that previews the report based on the selections. The report name is Invoice Report by Cost Center.

When I have the multiselect on none and I choose one item from the listbox, the query works and the report is displayed.

When I set the multiselect to extended, it allows me to select several items, but it doesnít return all of the items selected, actually, it doesnt return any records at all.

I know code is involved, and Iíve tried looking at all other posts with code, and Iíve tried to modify the code to fit my needs, but since I donít really know much about VBA, I just canít figure out what Iím doing wrong.

Any help is appreciated!

Provided Answers: 19
    That's because with Multi-Select set to None, the Listbox has a Value Property.With Multi-Select set to anything other than None, it no longer has a Value Property.

Here's an example of how you 'retrieve' the selections made from a Multi-Select Listbox when it is set to something other than None:
    Code:
    Dim strNames As String
      Dim varItem As Variant

For each varItem in Me.MyListBox.ItemsSelected
        strNames = strNames & Me.MyListBox.Column(X, varItem) & ";"
      Next varItem

MyVariable = strNames
    The above loops thru the Listbox selections, retrieving the Values from the X column of the Listbox. The Columns read from Left-to-Right, in the Listbox, and are Zero-based, so the first column would be 0, the second column would be 1 and so forth.
    It concatenates the Values that have been selected, separating them a semi-colon, then assigns them to a Variable named
    MyVariable.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

linq, thank you so much for responding. I'm very new to this and I appreciate your help.

I took the code you posted and modified it to fit my box.

Dim strNames As String
    Dim varItem As Variant

For Each varItem In Me.CCList.ItemsSelected
    strNames = strNames & Me.CCList.Column(CostCenterToBeBilled, varItem) & ";"
    Next varItem

MyVariable = strNames

It didnt work. I probably did it wrong. Sorry. Also, I'm using 2007.

Code:
        strNames = strNames & Me.CCList.Column(CostCenterToBeBilled, varItem) & ";"
      Next varItem

You need to replace the CostCenterToBeBilled in your code with the number of the column that holds the
    CostCenterToBeBilled Field.

As I said above,
    The Listbox Columns read from Left-to-Right, and are Zero-based, so the first column would be 0, the second column would be 1 and so forth. Figure out which column CostCenterToBeBilled is in then plug that number into your code, in its place.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

Linq, once again, thank you so much for your help, but I'm still not getting it.
    The column is the first column, so I replaced it with 0.

Private Sub CCList_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    Dim strNames As String
    Dim varItem As Variant
    strNames = strNames & Me.CCList.Column(0, varItem) & ";"
    Next varItem

End Sub

But it's still not working. I'm about to give up.

First off, this kind of code needs to be in the CCList_AfterUpdate event, not the CCList_BeforeUpdate event.

After correcting that, what do you expect the code to do, at this point? I see nothing that you've done to even display the selections you've made. All the code I gave you was simply to illustrate how to retrieve the selected values. You have to decide how you want to use those retrieved values, and code accordingly.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

Thanks again Linq, you've been extremely helpful!!!

I changed to after update. I have a query that uses the information on the form to return the selected records.

For example, the query field is costCenterToBeBilled and it has the criteria [Forms]![Invoice Report Form]![CCList]

So when I choose the items on the listbox, I want them to go into this query and pull the records for which I chose. Make sense?