Thumbs up Unanswered: Need help to configure 2 servers pointing to a single database which handles failover

I was able to configure HADR on 2 different physical boxes and test the manual failover using the take over command.

I now have a seperate SAN (External storage) and now both the physical boxes will have the database pointing to the same table spaces and same log file which will reside on the SAN.

Pls help me with the approach i need to take up for this scenario.

DB: 9.7.5
    SAN:RAID 4

HADR requires that both the primary and standby databases have their own storage. HADR is not a shared disk architecture (except maybe for archive logs if you want to do that). It is highly preferable that the mounted path names for the storage be the same for both servers (separate storage for each) so that all tablespace container operations will be replicated correctly.

If you are trying to configure a shared disk system with primary and standby, then you cannot use HADR (but I am not really sure what you are trying to do).

You should refer to the Data Recovery and High Availability Guide and Reference PDF DB2 manual for more information on both HADR and shared disk configurations.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

i had verified the manual but i am in a very confused state.

HADR is working fine but now the scenario is different.
    The requirement is :
    i am expected to have a Db on Box A and Box B which would point to same the tablespace and log files these will reside on the SAN.
    This requirement is to avoid 2 different storage areas.

"Can i create the Db on box A and restore it in roll forward pending state in box B and redirect both the tablespaces and logs file to the same external storage along with the normal HADR configrations...is this apt plz help."

Quote Originally Posted by divya.s View Post
    The requirement is :
    i am expected to have a Db on Box A and Box B which would point to same the tablespace and log files these will reside on the SAN.
    This requirement is to avoid 2 different storage areas.

"Can i create the Db on box A and restore it in roll forward pending state in box B and redirect both the tablespaces and logs file to the same external storage along with the normal HADR configrations...is this apt plz help."
    I told you above that you cannot do that with HADR.

If you want a shared disk system with failover between primary and standby databases on different servers, please consult the DB2 manual I mentioned above where they discuss how to do that.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Divya,

If you want to share storage, HADR is not the option.

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.