Unanswered: How to find free space in raw volume ? add chunks

Hello experts,

I am having problem on my development database refresh.

Database was dropped for restoring new data from UAT with more data and objects. While restoring the rootdbs is getting full. Can someone help me finding the free space and offset in RAW volume so that I may be able to add some chunks to rootdbs.
    312 - Cannot update system catalog (sysobjstate).

131 - ISAM error: no free disk space
    I know there are RAW devices meant for this database; but I cannot add space because I do not know how much space is free of volume and what is offset of the free space.

Please help me with command line commands to do this.

Regards
    DBFinder

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi DB,

do you mean free space in the system raw disk space or in IDS space?

The rule, when you restore dbspaces, is to have the same chunks with the target available space equal or greater than the source space.

In addition, supposedly, rootdbs should not contain data and should be transferred to other dbspaces

Eric,

do you mean free space in the system raw disk space or in IDS space?
    System raw disk space ; because I need offset for onspaces add chunk command; please correct me , if I am wrong here.

I agree that there should be no data in rootdbs. Current issue had been resolved already; but my question still stands. Let me re-state my question.

We have all dbspaces on RAW disk. Time to time these dbspaces become full. Being dev servers this is not possible to get the sufficient size in one shot.

As develepors complain, I usually find temp spaces out of space. What should be systematic way to determine the offset of free chunk on the RAW device.

First to display currently allocated spaces

Second to calculate the free space offset

Third to tell informix to add a chunck to dbspace ( onspaces -a temp1 -p /dev/rifxvg/spc1 -o 99999 -s 99999 )

Most of the time I get hard time on step 3 above ( the chunk is already in use ). Because I do not know exactly how to perform first two steps.

Thanks for your time.

DBFinder
    Last edited by DBFinder; 05-01-12 at 07:55.

Provided Answers: 1
    Db,

the raw devices are handled differently on every OS, or almost.
    You have AIX, if I remember well. I think with the lslv command + some option you should get the list of the pv on raw device.

I would look in this direction, and obviously a beatiful perl script :-)

Yes,
    Perl is usually available on every system (AFAIK).

Regards

i'm bit confuse can you tell me what is the level of backup and from which server you backed up it and you are going to restore it into another server