Question Unanswered: PostgreSQL Installation on OS X Lion

Hey.

I have been trying to install PostgreSQL 8.4.11 and 9.1.3 all day long.

I want to install it on a Mac running OS X Lion. When I try to install with the installer downloaded from postgresql homepage, I always get the following error:

Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
    The database cluster initialisation failed.

As well the /data/ folder doesn't get created within the installation process.

I kinda drive crazy and really hope that you guys can help me out of that dilemma!!

Kind regards from Germany,
    Nikolai

Can you attach the installation logs? [/tmp/install-postgresql.log]

--Raghu

The log file

Attached you can find the log file. Hope you can figure out whats the problem here..

Thanks for helping!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Might be permissions

Looking at the log file the problems start when the script attempts to change the owner of the postgreSQL folders. I am assuming that you are installing this with admin/root privleges so I would start by opening a terminal and making sure that the user "postgres" not "root" has ownership and read/write/execute privileges on the PostgreSQL folder and sub-folders. If not using sudo or the root account change the permissions and then attempt a reinstall. You also may want to look at downloading the latest version since they are up to 9.1.3 now. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Working now...

I decided to get rid of the Postgres installation.

So I started from scratch, installing the latest release now. Before I did that I change the sysctl.conf.

Now everything is working, except:

In the Terminal I still can't login with the postgres user. I have a new user on my mac though (name: PostgreSQL).

Is there a way to fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by nikke View Post
    I decided to get rid of the Postgres installation.

So I started from scratch, installing the latest release now. Before I did that I change the sysctl.conf.

Now everything is working, except:

In the Terminal I still can't login with the postgres user. I have a new user on my mac though (name: PostgreSQL).

Is there a way to fix that?
    Check to make sure that the user PostgreSQL has a short name of postgres and that there is a password set for that account. Then make sure that postgres is the owner of the /usr/local/pgsql directory. Once that is done you should be able to su - postgres.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

postgres user

Thanks for helping me thompsonjsaf.

I figured out, that there is no directory /usr/local/pgsql
    There is no /Users/PostgreSQL or sth. like that too.

Do I just have to create that folders (empty).

How can I check the short name of the user? Please see the attached screenshot to see the PostgreSQL user information.

As I said, managing the DB with pgAdmin III is working, but not in Terminal (because I cant login with postgres user)

Thank you very much for helping me!!

By the way.. My PostgreSQL installation in in the installations default folder: /Library/PostgreSQL (I have used the http://www.enterprisedb.com/ installer)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2012-05-03 at 8.26.17 AM.png  
    Last edited by nikke; 05-03-12 at 04:24.

Don't create it

Quote Originally Posted by nikke View Post
    Thanks for helping me thompsonjsaf.

I figured out, that there is no directory /usr/local/pgsql
    There is no /Users/PostgreSQL or sth. like that too.

Do I just have to create that folders (empty).

How can I check the short name of the user? Please see the attached screenshot to see the PostgreSQL user information.

As I said, managing the DB with pgAdmin III is working, but not in Terminal (because I cant login with postgres user)

Thank you very much for helping me!!

By the way.. My PostgreSQL installation in in the installations default folder: /Library/PostgreSQL (I have used the EnterpriseDB | The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company installer)
    Nikke,
    First things first, if it's not broke don't fix it Leave the files exactly where they are. Next I think there may be a little confusion on the User account. Sorry I did not catch it before. The user "postgres" only lives in the database not your computer. From the command line in order to access the postgreSQL instance with the user postgres you would enter something like:

myUser$ mysql -u postres -p
    -u sets the name of the user that you are logging into the Database Management System with and -p prompts for the password. If you have a password set for the user it will ask you for it. type it in and your command prompt should change to look like

mysql>

Hope this helps clear it up and lets you use your command line