Unanswered: Trying to get GPS coordinates into Access

Hi there,
    I hope this is an appropriate forum for this question, it's my first time posting!
    We recently bought several tablets (CL900 tablets from Motion Computing) running Windows 7 for data collection in the field (a wildlife research project where individual will not be connected to the internet while entering data). The tablets come with a built-in GPS unit and field personnel will be entering data using Microsoft Access 2010. One of the things that we'd like users be able to do is to somehow automatically have current GPS coordinates entered into two fields (latitude and longitude) within an Access Form. Currently individuals have to look at the onboard GPS readout and copy coordinates into Access. If there is a way to do this I'd be very appreciative for some suggestions. I'm fairly good with Access but new to programming. Maybe this is a job for someone more experienced to tackle!
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Provided Answers: 19
    I'm not really sure that this is really an Access question, per se. My first thought would be to contact Motion Computing and see if they can point you in the right direction. The fact that the device has GPS capability indicates, to me, that the device is intended for doing just what you're doing with it, and makes me wonder if this might not be a feature that is already available to you, possibly even an undocumented feature.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    it comes down to how the tablet / windows 7 handles the GPS. its probably available to Access as either a location service or it may be available as a serial port. neither are going to be especially easy to program competently (ie with adequate error handling and so on).

newer portable devices often have the GPS location avaialble as a service, so that multipel apps can concurrently receive GPS data

older portable devices often have the GPS data available on a specific port. so you connect to that serial port and start reading the GPS feed

I think you will get better results by finding how GPS data is made available on the device then coming back here on how to get that into Access. essentially what Missinglinq says
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Follow-up

Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm trying to do the exact same thing right now.

Thanks,

Ryan