Unanswered: DB and OracleAS upgrade

Hi all,

Newbie in Oracle here. I was given a task to plan for an upgrade of our current setup.
    I'm looking into what version we can upgrade our current setup.

Here's what we have:
    DB - Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production

OracleAS:

SQL> select comp_id,version,status from app_registry;

COMP_ID | VERSION | STATUS
    ------------------------------ ------------------------------ -----------
    SYNDICATION | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    SSO | 10.1.4.0.1 | VALID
    WORKFLOW | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    B2B | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    BAM | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    MRC | 10.1.4.0.0 | VALID
    MRUA | 10.1.4.0.0 | VALID
    OCA | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    OID | 10.1.4.0.1 | VALID
    DCM | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    DISCOVERER | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    WCS | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    UDDI | 10.1.2.0.2 | VALID
    PORTAL | 10.1.4.2.0 | VALID
    WIRELESS | 10.1.2.1.0 | VALID

15 rows selected.

SQL>

[oracle@eip8app1 ~]$ grep -E "Version|InstallType|Components" /opt/oracle/product/prod/mid/config/ias.properties
    Version=10.1.2.3.0
    InstallType=Portals
    Components=Apache,J2EE,WebCache,JServ,Portal,Wirel ess
    [oracle@eip8app1 ~]$
    [oracle@eip8app1 ~]$ grep -E "Version|InstallType|Components" /opt/oracle/product/prod/infra104/config/ias.properties
    Version=10.1.2.0.2
    InstallType=Infrastructure_ID
    Components=Apache,J2EE,JServ,SSO,OID,DAS,DIP,OCA
    [oracle@eip8app1 ~]$
    [oracle@eip8app1 prod]$ grep -E "Version|InstallType|Components" /opt/oracle/product/prod/soa/config/ias.properties
    Version=10.1.3.1.0
    InstallType=httpServer
    Components=apache
    [oracle@eip8app1 prod]$
    [oracle@eip8app1 prod]$ grep -E "Version|InstallType|Components" /opt/oracle/product/prod/apps/config/ias.properties
    Version=10.1.3.3.0
    InstallType=allProducts
    Components=j2ee,Wsil,Orabpel
    [oracle@eip8app1 prod]$

The only concrete thing I know is, we can upgrade our OID to 10.1.4.3 but the rest are still a mystery.
    I'm also puzzled as to why the sql query result in the DB and from the ias.properties are different.

Your guidance/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cool

The only concrete thing I know is, we can upgrade our OID to 10.1.4.3 but the rest are still a mystery.
    I'm also puzzled as to why the sql query result in the DB and from the ias.properties are different.
    Don't be offended, but upgrades to a database/AS should be done by a more experienced DBA or under the direct supervision of an experienced DBA.

Any information/solution you get from a public forum is at your own risk to try it.

If you need some guidance on upgrading, you can always create a low-priority Oracle Support service request with your questions.

Good luck!
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Yup, I actually opened a SR to Oracle support regarding this matter, at the same time asking the forum - to cross reference.

I'm RHCE and SCSA by trade but now got into this new world so I totally understand whatever reply I get.

Appreciate your reply!

Cool

Upgrades involving both a database and an AS middletier are specially "tricky" because for one you need to follow certain sequence of events like stopping /starting the different services and applying the upgrade patch(es).

Be sure to make a thorough upgrade plan; if you have a test environment, do it there first.

Best wishes you succeed!
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Yes, we have SIT and UAT for testing before going to Prod.
    I'll build an internal lab, hoping to get it done very soon. Because aside from DB and AS upgrade, we'll also have OS upgrade.

Thanks for the good luck, I need it as I'm newbie to this.

Appreciate your reply.