Unanswered: Migrating SQL to a new Server

Hi,

We currently have a SQL 2008 datawarehouse server with about 15 different databases.

We were given a new Server (faster,more memory,etc..) with a fresh copy of SQL 2008 R2 installed.

I will need to move all of the databases from the old SQL server to the new SQL server. The issue that i have is that on the current SQL server, we have a C: and D: drive. Some of the databases and logs are on C: and others on D:. On the new SQL server we have C:, D:, and E: drives.

What is the best way to move the databases from the old SQL server to the new SQL server and have the files reside on a different drive? For example, If i have database called ABC and the data and log files are stored on C:\DataFiles. I want to move them to the new SQL server and have the data file on D:\DataFiles and the log file on E:\LogFiles.

I will also be moving the system databases as well. Those all reside on C: and will be on C: on the new server. I imagine i will have to move those first.

Since this is a datawarehouse, i don't have any issues with stopping the service if I need to.

Thanks

BACKUP and RESTORE?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Would backup and restore allow me to move the data and log files to new locations? I've been reading about attach/detach databases and was wondering if that was another option. I would also need that option to have the ability to move the data files to a different location

Provided Answers: 11
    The RESTORE command has a move option, so you can move the physical files to any path you like. Have a look: RESTORE (Transact-SQL)