Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: File Corruption, Different Locales and Compacting

Greetings all,

I volunteer in a non-profit in Aylmer, Quebec. I attempted to move a database constructed on an "English" computer (locale in "Region and Language" in Windows 7 set to "English Canada") to a French computer (locale in "Region and Language" in Windows 7 set to "French Canada"). Within three entries, the database became corrupted, and crashed miserably. I had to return home and fetch my "English" computer.

Can anyone point me to information about moving MS Access 10 databases between computers set up with different locales?

The other thing I noted is that the MS Access 10 database sometimes seems to (itself) self compact (and self-repair). I do nothing. Any experience with this (the database shrinks from 5 megs to 2 1/2 megs)?

Regards

J. Smith
    Aylmer, Quebec, Canada

Provided Answers: 14
    As far as I know, there should not be any problem when moving an Access database from a computer having a locale "a" to another computer having a locale "b", at least as far as both locales are western (I once had a problem with a database that was built in Japan as well as minor troubles with another database that came from Greece). The only trouble I can imagine is that date formats and format conversion formulas can be hard-coded in the properties of some objects or in VBA modules.

I sometimes switch the locale of one of my computers from French to English or the other way around and never had any problem with an Access database when doing so.

You should perhaps perform this simple operation, i.e. install a copy of the database on an "English-speaking" computer, then change the locale of that computer, open the database and see what happens.

The self compact/self-repair behaviour of a database is a feature that can be switched on or off in the settings of Access. In Access 2010, select Options in the File Tab, in the Access Options dialog box, select "Active database". There is a checkbox to activate/deactivate the self compact feature.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 19
    Paradoxically, doing a C & R can cause corruption, which makes the Compact on Close Option one of the worst things the boys from Redmond ever came up with! You should always back up your file before doing this operation.

Do as Sinndho suggested and deselect this feature, on the original file, and transfer it again.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks, a really useful reply. I will check the code to see if I "hard-wired" something about formats in. I have an app that has become horribly convoluted because it attempt to follow the very strange logic of a sailing club. This is the start of the sailing season, and the app was developed on an emergency basis in two weeks to email notifications and track payments-- done fast, but not particularly well! Hope to "regularize" it when time permits.

Thanks again,

J Smith

Aylmer, Quebec

Thanks Misslingling and Sinnidho. Oh, I back up religiously across two mediums!

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by praxis1949 View Post
    ... I have an app that has become horribly convoluted because it attempt to follow the very strange logic of a sailing club.
    Welcome on board (if I may say so!): I experienced the same situation a few years ago, except that it was an application developed for a rowing club (quite close)

You're welcome, by the way!
    Have a nice day!