Unanswered: SQL Server developer moving to Sybase - HELP

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I am previously a SQL Server expert (6.5 up to 2K8) and now we are taking on a new system, with a Sybase backend. To be precise, the version is ASE 15.5 64 bit on an AIX 5.3 unix box.

Being someone that is just totally used to SQL Enterprise manager or management studio, and using that form of query tool -

1) can anyone advise me on a similar tool for Sybase? I ask because we started with Sybase central but it feels like heading back in time (unless using it wrong). A query result opens in a new window, and if you edit it you need to run in a new window. Sooner rather than later you have 20 query windows open for a simple task! Must be doing something wrong.

Can somebody tell me of the best tools to use to work with Sybase?

2) Additionally are there some glaring differences in t-sql on SQL Server and Sybase? Can't see anything obvious so far. All seems to work and the system tables are the same. Any must knows when moving over from SQL Server?

3) Do the best practises match SQL Server? I.e. putting the data and log files on separate sets of disks?

Thanks for any help!

Shark

Hi,

I don't think that there is any other tool for sybase then Sybase Central.
    Some time ago I was also looking for tool that might give me some more flexibility and functionality in working with sybase ASE servers but I also didn't found anything that can be usefull.

Truly I've stopped using Central and any needed administrative tasks I'm doing using SQL Advantage (Central can be really annoying).

There shouldn't be any differences in Transact SQL between MS SQL SRV and Sybase

About the best practices I can't write you much but I can write how it looks on my enviroment,
    I have installed ASE server and put error logs on one disc, on next two disks I'm putting database devices alternately (I'm not mixing data and transaction log on db devices, separate device for data and separate for log), next two disks are used for backups (one for dump tran and second for full backups).

You shouldn't have any bigger problems with Sybase if you know well SQL SRV, and don't worry, in 99.9% of cases there are solutions of problems

P.S. Let to know if you'll find any usefull tool for sybase managment.

A good tool you can use with SYBASE ASE is embarcadero's dbartisan

DBArtisan Family | Products

You need to remember in sybase your table structure is case sensitive.

it a good practive having your logs and data devices on different disk.