Unanswered: web database vs. normal database?

I need to build a database that several people need to access (this will probably happen through sharepoint). What is the difference between a web database in access and any other database? I have tried to begin with a web database template, but I don't get the options for design view and I can't view the relationships window (they are all grayed out). This limits my capabilities in changing the template. When I open a normal template (not for web) I get all of the options. Can I start with a normal database and still host it on sharepoint or is there a way to unlock the options on the web database template?

Provided Answers: 59
    nothing a database is a database is a database. its a place where data gets stored and manipiulated
    there is however a world of difference between the fornt end, the user interface.
    many web sites use scritping langauges such as PHP, ASP.NET, PERL and so on to create the content to be rendered int he browser
    Access provides its own user interface through forms & reports, and if required VBA. however an Access interface isn't easily deployed on the web, yet data in an Access database can be
    however Access Database has problems with many concurrent users althoiugh these cna be designed out with careful use.
    an Access interface can talk to many different types of database not just the default database called JET. those other types of database include SQL server, MySQL and so on.

dep[loying an access application on an intranet where you have a certain degree of control and can make certain the user has a copy of Access or Access runtime but its not somethign to contemplate in a web environement such as the internet.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I'm am having trouble understanding what you mean. I want to build my database that will be hosted on sharepoint (2007) so that my users don't have to have access on their computers to use it (run queries and reports through forms along with editing and adding entries through forms). My questions is, should I use the regular templates or a web template? I can't seem to determine why you would use one or the other and what the difference is? I want it to actually be usable on sharepoint and not just a link you post to sharepoint and download to open.

Did you resolve this issue? If so how?

I happened upon your post. It's EXACTLY the same question I have. If you did figure out the answers to your questions AND if you have a couple of minutes, would you write out a summary of what you figured out? Specifically this question:
    Quote Originally Posted by klpe237 View Post
    I can't seem to determine why you would use one or the other and what the difference is? I want it to actually be usable on sharepoint and not just a link you post to sharepoint and download to open.
    Thanks!!