Unanswered: number field format to appear with word "months" after number

In access, I will have a field where the only options will be <1 month, <3 months, etc... I want to be able to search for one specific time interval or a range of intervals. I think the best way to do this is to store the field as a number that specifies the months (1, 2, 3, etc...) and then appears as "<3 months". For instance, if the entry is 2 months, you type a 2 and it appears when looked up as <3 months. This way, if we ever wanted to look for followup appointments for 1 month, 3 months and 6 months, we could do it easier by searching for 0-6. Is this the best way to accomplish this? Would I enter something into the format section like "<## month(s)"? Or is there an entirely different way to do what I need?

Provided Answers: 59
    no
    I'd use the Access date functions re trieve wahtever values I wanted from the DB
    how you work out the interval is for you.
    but I'd expect the the query to compare the a date to the last appointment. wether that appointm,ent is the current date or an arbitary point in time.. that could be the satrt of this month, the start of next month the phase of the moon it doesn't matter

Im guessing you store the last appointment so that should be relatively trivial to implement. why do it this way
    ..well what happens if some bright spark decides that some follow appointments are say weekly or fortnightly.

you can always get to the <1 month easily enough assuming you have stored the appointment date values in the correct data type, ie Datetime
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Well, I need to be able to look up the follow up appointments that are made a certain time after the original appointment. So I'll have an entry for the first time they come in, and then they will have an entry made for each follow up appointment. So what you are saying is that I should still enter the current date of the appointment and then when I am querying the information, search for dates within a time frame from that original date?

Provided Answers: 59
    yes

how you implement that is up to you

if you know at the time the last appointment is completed what the interval to next appointment is then put in a future date, unless you think that the interval may change. it really depends on what your business requirements are. but I'd be temtpted to have a column which identifies the future appointment type (and inherently from that the projected next appointment
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton