Unanswered: umask for the instance owner

How do you set umask for the instance owner id? When I checked several of our AIX/Linux servers, the umask setting is not consistent.

Not sure about Linux, but the default on AIX is 022 which means the files created by the user id will have 644 (rw-r--r--). I believe it doesn't really matter what the umask is set to for the instance id because db2 doesn't look at it when creating db2 dir/files such as tablespace container, tran logs, diag files, etc...

You can update the .profile file if you want to change the default umask.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

I don't want to change it at this time because I don't believe it really matters for the instance owner id (as far as I know, db2 explicitly sets the permissions it needs to operate properly), but we need to establish standards for db2 (ie. shell, umask, FS, etc...). So, wondering what you have it set to? I think default should be fine as long as it doesn't violate any security standards.

Yes, the default is fine if it does not violate any security standards. If I am asked, I will suggest using:

rw for user
    r for group
    none for others

If a site does not have security standards, then this is secure enough

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.