Unanswered: Listbox SQL problem

How do I make a listbox on a form to list all recommended customers?

The form, named "Customer Form", is based on a simple table named "Customers" with the fields ID,Name,Recommended_by. The field "Recommended_by" has the datatype Long Integer and just stores another custromers ID number.

On the Form is a listbox in which I want to display all customers (name only) that has been recommended by the customer that is presently beeing displayed in the form.

I set the listbox's rowsource to:
    SELECT Customer.ID, Customer.Name, Customer.Recommended_by
    FROM Customers WHERE Customers.Recommended_by=[Forms]![Custumer Form]![ID];

But this doesent work! The listbox get empty!

If I put a textbox in the form and just write =[Forms]![Custumer Form]![ID]; it shows the ID so theres nothing wrong with anything else it seems. Also if I change the "[Forms]![Custumer Form]![ID]" to an ID number, lets say 1141, it shows all customers with ths ID numer in the field Recommended_by.

Whats wrong?

Provided Answers: 14
    There are several typos in the SQL code you posted:
    Code:
    SELECT Customer.ID, Customer.Name, Customer.Recommended_by
    FROM Customers WHERE Customers.Recommended_by=[Forms]![Custumer Form]![ID];
    1. If the name of the table is "Customers" you should have "Customers.Name, etc.
    2. If the name of the form is "Customer Form", then the reference to a control on this form should be "[Forms]![Customer Form]![ID]
    Have a nice day!

No typos

Well it was just a typo in my example above. The object names are correct in the database. The problem must be of other kind.

The RowSource property of a Lisbox (also true for a Combobox) is static in the sense that the contents of the object is not automatically requeried (at least when the RowSourceType property is Table/Query), as it is the case for the ControlSource property of a Textbox for instance. In such controls, the data is fetched when the form is open. You can keep the RowSource property as it is and use:
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Current()

Me.List_Customers.Requery

End Sub
    Or you can left the RowSource property of the Listbox empty and use:
    Code:

Me.List_Customers.RowSource = "SELECT Customers.ID, Customers.Name, Customers.Recommended_by " & _
                                      "FROM Customers WHERE Customers.Recommended_by=" & Me.ID.Value

End Sub
    If the form allows the modification of the ID Textbox, you'll need to use the same code in its AfterUpdate event handler:
    Code:
    Private Sub ID_AfterUpdate()

End Sub
    Or:
    Code:

Me.List_Customers.RowSource = "SELECT Customers.ID, Customers.Name, Customers.Recommended_by " & _

End Sub
    You can also create a procedure and call it wherever you need:
    Code:

RefreshList

End Sub

RefreshList

End Sub

Private Sub RefreshList()

End Sub
    Have a nice day!

Case closed!

Excellent answer! Just wish I understod it..

This did it:

End Sub

If anyone likes to explain for me the diffrence between RowSource, RowSourceType and ControlSource, Go ahead!

1. RowSourceType determines how the control (Listbox or Combobox) will be populated (i.e. where it will fetch its data from). It can be:
    a) Table/Query: a table or a query will be the source of the data population the control.
    b) Value List: a list of comma (or the list separator defined in the Regional Settings in the Control Pannel of Windows).
    c) Field List: The names of the Fields (not the Values!) of a table or query.
    d) It can also be the name of a special function which must have a special structure (see help for RowSourceType ).
    See: RowSourceType Property [Access 2003 VBA Language Reference]

2. RowSource:
    a) If RowSourceType is a. or c. (here above), this property contains the name of a table, the name of a query, or a SQL statement.
    b) If RowSourceType is b. (here above), this property is the list of comma-separated values.
    c) If RowSourceType contains the name of a special function, this property is empty.
    See: RowSource Property [Access 2003 VBA Language Reference]

3. ControlSource is the name of a Field in the Form Recordset or a valid expression from which Access can yield a value.
    See: ControlSource Property [Access 2003 VBA Language Reference]
    Have a nice day!