Unanswered: Overlapping full backups

We have a backup strategy in place to take a full backup of the database on a daily basis at 7:15pm. During the hours of 7am and 7pm, we take hourly transaction log backups. To give an idea of timing, our database is 320gb in size, and takes roughly 45minutes to backup.

Our business is open between the hours of 8am and 7pm, so this backup system seems to be working fine so far.

We have just introduced an offsite backup system, where an external company has setup a backup also, this starts at 7pm. They do not take a file that is stored on our server, they will take a full backup of the database and store that at their end. I haven't got an exact time for this full backup yet, but I know it is in excess of 3hours.

My query really is around the transaction logs that are being saved if we wanted to do a point in time restore, and also what effect would having overlapping full database backups have.

I have found plenty of information regarding transaction log backups overlapping with a full, but not where 2 full backups overlap.

Is there any information anyone could provide me for this please? We are running MS SQL 2005.

Many thanks in advance

Provided Answers: 11
    Short answer is that you can not have overlapping backups. If you check your log backup jobs while their full backup is running, you will find them waiting. Best bet in your situation, is to have them do a full backup at 8:00 PM when you are closed, and don't care ;-).