Unanswered: How to deploy access database?

Hi,

I am developing my first company database with access 2007 on xp.

I have created the data models and am learning how to create the forms but one thing is bothering me. When the forms are ready, how do I package the database so that the users only see the forms and not the whole table and design views that are offered in access?

I really only have 3 types of users. Admin, Editors, and viewers. Admin is me, Editors need to have access to the input form I am creating and the viewers see only the queries and reports form. But how do I package this up?

Thanks for any tips,

Rob

Provided Answers: 59
    take a backup, and prove the backup is usable
    split the database into a back end and front end
    back end contains the data, front end contains the user interface (the forms and reports). some queries may belong in the back end, but usually in the front end
    take a backup
    ideally each user should have a local copy of the front end, there's code in this forums 'codebank' to handle some of the problems associated with deploying new front ends.
    take a backup
    always work form a development db with its own test data (so its own front and back ends)
    take a backup
    deploy the fornt end as an MDE or similar, but always, alwasy retain the original MDB or whatever as this is the only way you can make chanegs. apparently its possible to retrieve soem or all of the design data from an MDE but its tough going and nbot to be recommended
    take a backup
    read the Access Security FAQ Google
    take a backup
    before deploying a new front end / and or backend consider using comapct & Repair to reduce the bloat associated with design changes.
    take a backup
    learn all about DDL (Data defintion language) so you can make changes to the backend by code... things like alter, drop, make etc...
    take a backup
    if you really need to pin down security then upou need to do some jiggery pokery with network user permissions to hide the data when its not being used by the application
    take a backup
    remember that you will need to apply permissions to the front and back ends.
    take a backup
    ADMIN should be a group, not a person, and should; be more than one person so that in the event of you departing or popping your clogs ther admin role continues
    permissions should always be assigned at group not individual levels
    take a backup
    do not assign any permissions to user admin, as this is the default user on most Access installationms
    PS did anyone suggest take a backup
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post

...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup
    ...take a backup

...PS did anyone suggest take a backup
    Yes, but not nearly enough times!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007