Thread: Data Trouble

Unanswered: Data Trouble

Hey guys, got a slight problem with a database I'm building,

I cant seem to get a column to update, though everything appears to be correct and in order, probably a stupid fix, but been staring at this database for days, so maybe fresh eyes are what i need, ill include the project.

the problem is with Data entry on the menu, when inputting data from the combo box it save all the data except the CourseID which is needed to link that data with the main form.

of you could get back to me ASAP would be greatly appreciated

Could do with an answer today guys
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Batou; 05-24-12 at 09:06.

Could Realy do with an answer on this plz,

the problem is getting very annoying!!
    Code:
    If Me.OpenAccess.Work Then
    Access.Crash = Inevitable
    End If
    Me.BangHeadAgainstWall = Headache

I dont need you to solve my problem, just give me a push in the right direction.

Provided Answers: 19
    You've got 14 Forms! It would probably help if you were to let us know which Form you're having problems with and what Control you're referring to!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    You've got 14 Forms! It would probably help if you were to let us know which Form you're having problems with and what Control you're referring to!

Linq ;0)>
    Sorry about that, Frm_Course_Entry is the form you want, should be a tab control with 4 tabs, 3 of which have a Continuous sub-form with 2 drop down boxes, one for questions one for a score.
    The problem lies in the form, im thinking coz of the way i designed it.

the tables are

Tab_Course
    Tab_Course_Content
    Tab_Sub_Content_Question
    Tab_Sub_Trainer_Question
    Tab_Sub_Venue_Question

The Problem, being The Data Wont Link to the Course Info

much Thanks
    Last edited by Batou; 05-24-12 at 11:15.
    Code:
    End If

I dont need you to solve my problem, just give me a push in the right direction.

No one had any luck?
    Code:
    End If

Provided Answers: 59
    I've had a look...

but I haven't got the time or inclination to ferret through your application to try and diagnose where whatever fault you are reporting exhibits itself

if you want assistance on this proiblem thenyou are going to have to explain yourself very very clearly \s to what the problem is, what form / sub form has got the problem
    what steps you have take to resolve it.

on the face of your description I'd suspect you are missing a master/child definition.

incidentally you may want to revisit your table design as apparently its possible to answer the same question more than once for the same master record in at least one of your forms. that would involve redesigning the primary key or setting some other unique constrain on the table (s) involved
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Okay, ill explain what iv done here,

my first draft i made a single form to gather data, to get a basic evaluation score for each course for each student, the original setup made it so that all the questions and scores were stored in the same table, which made ghost records appear on the sub forms i had made, so i created a separate table for each sub form to store the allocated data, to store the data i used a simple method,

the table basically stores the affiliated id for the question and the score, which are primary keys for the individual tables, this solved the ghost record problem,
    i linked the sub form and main form using CourseID, course id being the primary tables primary key.

the next problem was the fact i would enter data for the same course up to 5 times, so that course was appearing multiple times in the tables, to get around this i designed a new table to accept the course information, then built a new form, and put in a sub form which then contained the first form i had designed.

The end result is Frm_Course_Entry

This is when my problem occurred,

again i linked this with CourseID,

the problem is that although on initial entry the records will save to the table they don't seem to link together on lookup.

Iv tried re-arranging the Master - Child links, using another primary key so as to seperate between the subforms. with no luck.

i have also tried altering the relationships.

And to answer you comment about table design, every table i create contains a unique number to seperate fields so a row will always be unique, although you may enter the same data more than once the Data is unique to that specific record.

Is this a good enough description for you or is their anything else you need to know?
    Last edited by Batou; 05-29-12 at 06:33.
    Code:
    End If