Unanswered: Database model problem from access to MSSQL server 2005

Good Day,

I am a C# programmer but i have a problem with a database model on MSSQL server 05. I have a client who told me

to rebuild his database from access to MSSSQL server 05 and actually i did but i found out that the database model

for the access can't work on the MSSQL server 05. Its a retail management database mainly for his small business.

The database in access consist of the following tables and columns below:

Customer Registration

Customer_id

Customer_surname

Other_name

Phone_number (P.K)

Address

GRN

DATE datatype date

PRODUCT datatype varchar (F.K Product registration.product)

MAKE datatype varchar (F.K MAKE registration.make)

MODEL datatype varchar (F.K MODEL registration.model)

SERIAL datatype varchar (F.K Receivable.SERIAL)

MAKE registration

make_id indexed accept nulls. datatype int

make (P.K.) datatype varchar

MODEL registration

Model_id indexed accept nulls. datatype int

Model (P.K.) datatype varchar

Product registration

product_id indexed accept nulls. datatype int

product (P.K.) datatype varchar

Receivable

STAFF datatype varchar (F.K) STAFF REGISTRATION.NAME

DATE datatype date

PHONE datatype varchar

SERIAL (P.K.) datatype varchar

CHECK (P.K.) datatype varchar

Selling price

PRODUCT datatype varchar (F.K Product registration.product)

MAKE datatype varchar (F.K MAKE registration.make)

MODEL datatype varchar (F.K MODEL registration.model)

PRICE datatype int

Staff Registration

STAFF ID datatype int Indexed allows null.

NAME datatype varchar (P.K.)

This is the database structure of the Access database, now the problem am having is a relationship model that could

query this data :

SELECT [CUSTOMER REGISTRATION].SURNAME, [CUSTOMER REGISTRATION].[OTHER NAME], [CUSTOMER

REGISTRATION].ADDRESS, RECEIVABLE.Date, RECEIVABLE.PHONE, RECEIVABLE.SERIAL, RECEIVABLE.CHECK,

GRN.PRODUCT, GRN.MAKE, GRN.MODEL, [SELLING PRICE TABLE].PRICE, RECEIVABLE.STAFF

FROM (([CUSTOMER REGISTRATION] INNER JOIN RECEIVABLE ON [CUSTOMER REGISTRATION].[PHONE NO] =

RECEIVABLE.PHONE) INNER JOIN GRN ON RECEIVABLE.SERIAL = GRN.SERIAL) INNER JOIN [SELLING PRICE

TABLE] ON (GRN.PRODUCT = [SELLING PRICE TABLE].PRODUCT) AND (GRN.MAKE = [SELLING PRICE

TABLE].MAKE) AND (GRN.MODEL = [SELLING PRICE TABLE].MODEL);

because I have tried creating a relationship on it on MSSQL server and have failed.

I would be joyous and greatful if anyone could answer this sql problem am having so I can continue with the programming

aspect of this project.

Thanks and God Bless.

I'm only a bit beyond novice when it comes to SQL, so I am not fully understanding your help request.

Is there a problem with your SQL Select statement, and you need help fixing it? If so, what error is being thrown?

My confusion comes from a lack of understanding on what you mean by a "the problem am having is a Relationship Model" in the context of your help request. In particular, if that differs from you needing help with your SELECT statement.

I'm also confused by your use of () within the FROM portion of your SELECT statement. Can you do Joins (without a SELECT) within the FROM clause?

Provided Answers: 4
    I guess all those extra ('s and )'s are from Access. Access likes to obfuscate the SQL code this way.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Access does add extra parenthesis to the join clauses of queries, but it takes about five seconds to remove those parenthesis and then you have a perfectly usable SQL statement. I also do a quick search and replace to alias the table names, and that's it.

The parenthesis are not your problem.

I am not sure what your statement "i found out that the database model for the access can't work on the MSSQL server 05" means. I am not sure who you "found that our" from, because have hundreds of Access databases that I have upgraded to SQL Server with no problems.

You do need to spend a bit more time describing what the issue is 'cause I can't make heads or tails of your request.
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2

Provided Answers: 1
    Agreed. An Access database of that simplicity should up-size easily.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com