Question Unanswered: Newb question regarding join using an alias

A Pier has basically told me to get acquainted with similar query's and has given me the basics on that the following is a join that uses an alias generated by a sub-query.

delete ab
    from address ab
    join
    (select max(address_id) as address_id, min(date_entered) as date_entered
    from address
    group by individual_id
    having count(individual_id)> 1) dupes
    on ab.address_id = dupes.address_id

I have a common understanding of the join, but could use any help understanding what the delete statement is doing, and any possible reasons why I need to apply the min() function to the date_entered column

Thank you in advance for all that can help me become better acquainted to query's like this.
    Jpetey

This Delete is deleting the table row with the biggest Address_id, for individual_id's that have more than one row in the table (HAVING).
    I believe that the result of the min function is not being used and that this function can be removed.

Hope this helps.

Provided Answers: 11
    The min(date_entered) could be removed pretty safely. You could replace the "delete ab" with "select *", and see what it gives you.

Thanks so much all. That helped me understand the delete (basically getting rid of repetitive data). However I was told there were a few reasons why I might need to have the min() function for the (date_entered), and was told to try to understand why. I appreciate any thoughts on few reasons why. only one I can think of is to return the oldest date or dates entered. Any thoughts our welcome and greatly appreciated.

hope I am not being to persistent with this min() question

Thanks, jpetey