Unanswered: Adding a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT to a column having duplicate data

Hi i have a requirement where i need to add a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT to a column that has duplicate data in it. How can i achieve this and is there any other way to achieve it rather by any other Contraint?

Provided Answers: 12
    What do you want to happen to the rows violating the constraint?

Unique constraint

Actually i hav a table names "contact" where 'email' is the column having duplicate data. My requirement is i have to add a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT to email column without deleting the duplicates...is it possible in MYSQL? if so how to achieve it? Hoping a quick reply ..Thanx in advance

Here the old data should not be deleted but the column should not accept duplicate data for new entries to 'email' column..thats the exact requirement...

Provided Answers: 12
    Either you want duplicates or you don't.

You can't allow duplicates for some rows and disallow them for others.

The only workaround I can think of is to add a new column (e.g. allow_duplicate) which indicates if an email is allowed as a duplicate. Then set that column to 1 for all existing rows and then create a unique constraint on (email, allow_duplicate).

Provided Answers: 59
    tidy up your data before attemtping to enforce such a constraint.
    OR
    acept your data has duplicates and therefore cannot enforce such a constraint within the DB

you could, if you so wish check that the email doesn't exist before comitting any additions or changes. that woudl involve your front end (the application layer) enforcing such a check
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton