Unanswered: iif(isnull) Function

Hello there.

I am getting an invalid error for the syntax below
    Is =iif(isnull(combo box name in form,qry field Description),,)

Is it possible to use IIF and ISNULL together in an unbound text field and use that expression to get a data from a query?

I have attached a screenshot of what I am doing.

So basically there are different levels: I, II, III and each has their own description. sometimes Level II and III will be null so I would use the description of Level I but if those combo box are NOT NULL, i will be using Description of Level II or III.

I would be happy if you could guide me through it ^_^
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails access.JPG  

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by undee69 View Post
    Hello there.

I am getting an invalid error for the syntax below
    Is =iif(isnull(combo box name in form,qry field Description),,)

Is it possible to use IIF and ISNULL together in an unbound text field and use that expression to get a data from a query?
    It surely is, provided that you respect the correct syntax:

1. Is is a reserved keyword and should not be used for naming a variable.

2. IsNull is a function that accepts a single argument, so this:
    Code:
    isnull(combo box name in form,qry field Description)
    is incorrect (2 arguments here).

3. You must supply 3 arguments to the IIf function and none of these is optional, so this is also incorrect:
    Code:
    iif(isnull(...),,)
    because the second and third arguments are missing.

The correct syntax is:
    Code:
    Result = IIf(IsNull(Expression), ValueWhenExpressionIsNull, ValueWhenExpressionIsNotNull)
    Have a nice day!

Thanks Sinndho

Before i made this post, I first tried isnull function in the unbound text field: =isnull(cbolvl2 (my level2 combo box), [L1L2_1].[tblL1.Description] (my query field)); but it is giving me the error: "the expression you entered has a function containing the wrong number of arguments." that's why i tried using iif function. but using the isnull function in the unbound is not working for me either.

Thanks Sinndho

Before i made this post, I first tried isnull function in the unbound text field: =isnull(cbolvl2 (my level2 combo box), [L1L2_1].[tblL1.Description] (my query field)); but it is giving me the error: "the expression you entered has a function containing the wrong number of arguments." that's why i tried using iif function. but using the isnull function in the unbound is not working for me either.
    I suppose that "(my level2 combo box)" and "(my query field)" are comments you added to the actual expression you tried to use, so this expression probably was:
    Code:
    =isnull(cbolvl2, [L1L2_1].[tblL1.Description]))
    Which is incorrect too, and for the same reasons:
    1. You try to pass 2 arguments to the Isnull function:
    Code:
    isnull(cbolvl2, [L1L2_1].[tblL1.Description])
    2. The second and third arguments for the IIf function are missing.
    Code:
    =isnull(cbolvl2, [L1L2_1].[tblL1.Description]), <Missing second argument>, <Missing third argument>)
    Please post the complete code that causes problem as it is, with some explanations, if necessary, outside the code.
    Have a nice day!

The code as is on the unbound text field:
    =IIf(IsNull([cbolvl2]),[L1L2_1].[tblL1.Description],[Copy Of qryAllLevel].[L1L2_1].[level 2])

I have level I, II and III account. Each level has its own description, but Level II is a sublevel of I and Level III is sublevel of II. If Level II and III are blank on the combobox, I will be using the description of level I. If level III is blank, I will be using Level II Description. If all levels are filled in, I will be using Level III description.

Thank you for your patience with me ^_^

The code as is on the unbound text field:
    =IIf(IsNull([cbolvl2]),[L1L2_1].[tblL1.Description],[Copy Of qryAllLevel].[L1L2_1].[level 2])
    I suppose that cbolvl2 is the name of a combo, which seems correct. However:

1. [tblL1.Description] is not correct: When you use a multi-part identifier (or reference), such as Table.Column or Form.Control, you must enclose each part in its own pair of square brackets if you use them: [Table].[Column] or [Form].[Control].

2. In these (corrected) multi-part references:
    Code:
    [L1L2_1].[tblL1].[Description]
    and
    Code:
    [Copy Of qryAllLevel].[L1L2_1].[level 2]
    What are [L1L2_1], [tblL1], [level 2], [Copy Of qryAllLevel] and [level 2] (i.e. which objects in the database do they represent)?

3. Do you try to use this expression in a VBA procedure or as the property of a control?

Thank you for your patience with me ^_^
    You're welcome
    Have a nice day!

I tried that a while ago. It is showing " #NAME? "

[L1L2_1] < Query Name
    [tblL1] < Table name
    [Copy Of qryAllLevel] < query of Levels I, II and III with corresponding description and concatenation
    [level 2] < Field in [Copy Of qryAllLevel]

I am using the Control property..

Would you mind if I attach my db, then maybe you could assist me ^_^

IWould you mind if I attach my db, then maybe you could assist me ^_^
    Do so, it will be easier.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Do so, it will be easier.
    attached is my db
    Attached Files Attached Files

There are two forms in the database you posted: frmPaymentSheet_rev1 and Form1. None of these has a control trying to use an expression such as the one you mentioned.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    There are two forms in the database you posted: frmPaymentSheet_rev1 and Form1. None of these has a control trying to use an expression such as the one you mentioned.
    Good day Sinndho.

It's in the frmPaymentSheet_rev, Description.

What I would be doing is that, since Level II sublevel/dependent on Level I and Level III is sublevel/dependent on Level II, if I select something on the "parent"combobox and that combo box has no sublevel, it will be null, and it will display on the Description Label/Text the Level(s) that it correpond.

I am not sure if this is gonna work with Access though. I am new to this programming really.Been checking sites and forum on how to do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails access_1.JPG   payment_sheet.JPG