Unanswered: CC to access db2 v10 on z/OS

Do you know if db2 v9.7 Control Center is compatible with db2 v10 on z/OS? A few people complained that they can't connect to v10 z/OS using CC (I think they can connect to v8 z/OS?).

You would have to have a client with DB2 Connect (which I assume they have) and probably need to do a remote bind from that client version to the DB2 z/OS database (you can use CCA to do the bind, but will need some kind of bind authority on z/OS).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

From DB2 z/OS infocenter:

DB2 Management Clients feature
    DB2 Management Clients feature, which includes DB2 Administration Server, DB2 Control Center, and DB2 Development Center, is no longer supported. Instead, use IBM Data Studio to design, develop, deploy, and manage your data-driven applications.
    IBM Information Management Software for z/OS Solutions Information Center

But I'm not clear if this is referring to DAS running on LUW or the one on z/OS. As per DB2 Universal Database, it looks like DAS can be created on z/OS (USS part):

The DB2 administration server on zSeries (OS/390 and z/OS only), will be packaged and delivered as part of the DB2 Management clients feature of DB2 UDB. Products that need DAS, like the Control Center, Replication Center, and Development Center, require the installation of the DAS function.
    What do you think?

DB2 administration server (DAS) has been deprecated
    The DB2® Administration Server (DAS) has been deprecated in Version 9.7 and might be removed in a future release.

Details
    Also, the DAS is not supported in DB2 pureScale® environments.

The DAS is only required for using the Control Center tools or performing remote administration. The Control Center tools have been deprecated.

Resolution
    Start using the IBM® Data Studio and IBM Optim™ tools in place of the Control Center tools. For details, see Control Center tools have been deprecated.

Start using software programs that use Secure Shell protocol (SSH) for remote administration. For example, you can configure the workbench in Data Studio to run SQL statements, utilities, and commands, or to browse and access files on remote servers using the Secure Shell (SSH) protocol.

DB2 administration server (DAS) have been deprecated - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    DB2 9.5/9.7 on Unix/AIX 6.1/Linux

This deprecated info is for DB2 LUW v9.7

Non-supported info I pasted above [DB2 Management Clients feature] is specifically for DB2 z/OS v10 (something you install on zOS).

My question is about using Control Center v9.7 running on Windows to connect to DB2 zOS v10 - if this is supported or not.

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    This deprecated info is for DB2 LUW v9.7

Non-supported info I pasted above [DB2 Management Clients feature] is specifically for DB2 z/OS v10 (something you install on zOS).

My question is about using Control Center v9.7 running on Windows to connect to DB2 zOS v10 - if this is supported or not.
    sorry, we use OSC to connect to zOS. never heard of using CC for this.
    DB2 10 for zOS documentation does not have any mention of DAS.

I don't know anything about OSC or "DB2 Management Clients feature".

I opened a pmr and they told me that the "DB2 Management Client Feature" is the DB2 Admin Client for Windows and Linux. The DB2 Control Center is being dropped. The one with the DB2 client v9.7 is the last one and is supported only with DB2 servers v9.x.

I suppose the answer to my question is "No". CC doesn't support connections to DB2 z/OS v10.

For LUW, it's clearly documented here:
    IBM DB2 10.1 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

Important: Use of the Control Center tools Version 9.7 or earlier to connect to Version 10.1 databases is not supported.

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    I don't know anything about OSC or "DB2 Management Clients feature".

I opened a pmr and they told me that the "DB2 Management Client Feature" is the DB2 Admin Client for Windows and Linux. The DB2 Control Center is being dropped. The one with the DB2 client v9.7 is the last one and is supported only with DB2 servers v9.x.

I suppose the answer to my question is "No". CC doesn't support connections to DB2 z/OS v10.

For LUW, it's clearly documented here:
    IBM DB2 10.1 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    this is about DB2 10.1 for LUW. I thought your question was:

Yes, my question was about using CC to access DB2 v10 on zOS.

DB2 LUW v10 docs are clear:
    CC v9.x -> v10 is not supported

DB2 zOS v10 docs are not very clear (or at least not to me). All I found is that "DB2 Management Clients feature" is not supported.

There is no CC on zOS (I hope not ), so the way I interpret their response is that CC that runs on Windows is not supported to access DB2/zOS v10.

I'd like to clarify something about "DB2 Management Clients feature" and DAS.

Based on my understanding:
    To administer DB2 z/OS using Control Center (ie. load tables), DAS has to exist on z/OS subsystem (under USS):
    IBM DB2 9.7 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

Does this mean you always have to install the "DB2 Management clients feature" if you want to use CC to administer DB2 z/OS.

The users can access z/OS v8 using CC (not only to query but to load data), but the DBA told me that we don't have this feature/package installed?? Is it possible to create DAS on z/OS without "DB2 Management Clients feature"?

@papadi, If you happen to read this, I'd appreciate if you can help me clarify about [ "DB2 Management clients feature" and DAS ] on the DB2 mainframe forum where you're a moderator.

I just don't want to be accussed of multi-posting.

I just don't want to be accussed of multi-posting.
    Should not be an issue

Where did you post the "other" topic - i've not seen it.

d

there is Data Studio now instead of CC. it is in materials for db2 10.1 bootcamp "Bye Bye Control Center Hello Data Studio"

No choice for GUI lovers... they need to learn a new one.

I found the following in v9.7 LUW doc, I think it answers most of my questions:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...20z%2fOS%22%20

Not sure why v9.1 zOS is not on the list, but I don't really care since we don't have it.

Thank you, everyone.
    Last edited by db2girl; 06-06-12 at 11:26.