Unanswered: Db2 logging conversion

Hi all

Can we convert circular logging to archival logging without having a downtime
    in db2 V9.7 ? Please suggest how.

Thanks in advance.
    Naval

Provided Answers: 11
    after the change you have to take a full backup
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Hi

Thanks for your respose. Are you saying we just need to update logarchmeth1 parameter, take a full backup will do ? We need require any downtime for that.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    after the change you have to take a full backup
    I think you also meant to say "offline". Which, of course, requires the database to be inactive.

Let me elaborate a bit. You are saying
    1) update logarchmeth1 parameter
    2) take offline full backup
    this will do the conversion. But my question is, offline backup will require a downtime and
    i want to make this conversion without having a downtime. Please suggest.

Thanks
    Naval K

Provided Answers: 11
    i want many thinks..
    no - not possible
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

If you think backup will take some time, you can try this method to quickly get that out of backup pending state after you change the logging method.

db2dart <dbname> /chst /what dbbp off

Please note that the above requires the db to be offline.

Thanks
    Tamil

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tnarayan View Post

db2dart <dbname> /chst /what dbbp off
    Would you do that on your own production server?

I will not avoid backup in my own production environment in general. However in this scenario he is just converting non-recoverable to recoverable by changing the log parameter, no use of existing logs. If he had full backup already and want to avoid down time taking backup again, do you see any problem with this method.

Thanks
    Tamil

Hmm, my view is that I don't take short cuts on a prod system. There should always be a maintenance window

Do you need write access to the system or do you just want to have it available for read-only access? Or would it be acceptable that you may loose some changes while the switch is being made? For read-only or if you can loose some data modification, you could copy also the database to a new instance, activate archival logging, take the backup, and then switch your applications over to the new instance. (Or just replace the instance under the covers.)

How big (in TBs) is your database? If it is just a few GBs, follow the official procedure. Taking an offline backup for a small database (with less than a TB) doesn't take very long.

p.s: You made a very basic mistake when setting up the system initially. Now the system seems to have become critical, but you don't want to perform the necessary actions and time to correct the mistake? What exactly is the problem that you cannot have a downtime? If it is just a manager requesting that but no technical requirement exists, screw him.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development