Unanswered: password from user db2inst1

Hallo everyone,

at the moment in Ubuntu, I log in as user db2inst1 in my db2 express-c server using:
    sudo su - db2inst1

It requires my root password. After that I am as user db2inst1 available to connect to the instance db2inst1.

Some things confuse me. In the documentation states, that the default password from user db2inst1 is db2inst1. In fact in my case, I dont need any password to connect to the instance db2inst1. How is it possible?

In which situations would one need the default password?

Thank you for your comments.

Regards,
    Ratna

There is no default password. User accounts and passwords are controlled by the OS (Linux) not by DB2.

If you are root, you can su to any user account without a password. Root has the authority to change any password, so the OS does not bother asking for permission.

These are Linux issues, not DB2. You will need to learn a bit about the Linux OS to use DB2 on Linux.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ratnalein View Post
    In the documentation states, that the default password from user db2inst1 is db2inst1.
    You probably misinterpreted it. The password for db2inst1 is what you set it to when you created the user db2inst1 in the operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by ratnalein View Post

In which situations would one need the default password?
    If, for example, you "su - db2inst1" from a non-root user.