Unanswered: Incremental Backup Limitation

Hi Folks

After enabling the TRACKMOD I have taken the full backup and two incremental backups.

After this We deleted one tablespace and taken Incremental backup it is successful.

But if we create a tablespace after incremental backup and taking incremental backup again it is failing with error.

I would like to know what happens internally when we enable the TRACKMOD parameter in DB2.

Please Suggest.

Hello,
    Trackmod as the name suggests tracks the modified pages of the existing tablespace which qualify for a incremental/delta backup. If you create a new tablespace you have to take a full backup before an incremental one.

Regards,
    Sharath

Hi Sharath,

thanks for ur reply...

I agree with ur suggestion.

What I want to Know is, If we delete a tablespace of Trackmod enabled database and go for Incremental backup It will be done successfully. why?

And if we create a tablespace in Trackmod enabled database It will fail. why?

And what is the difference? And what happens internally at this stage?

Smile

Hi Sharath,

thanks for ur reply...

I agree with ur suggestion.

What I want to Know is, If we delete a tablespace of Trackmod enabled database and go for Incremental backup It will be done successfully. why?

And if we create a tablespace in Trackmod enabled database and go for incremental backup It will fail. why?

And what is the difference? And what happens internally at this stage?

Hi Sasidhar,
    I have a very simple explaination for this probably other db2 gurus might have a much detailed one i am not sure.
    Trackmod is to track the modified pages of the existing tablespace. So a new tablespace records would not be collected in the previous full backup and your backup if successfull can be in consistent. However a tablespace dropped does exist no more. So a full backup or an incremental backup will still be successfull and still the image would be a valid backup image.
    Trackmod tracks the modified pages of all the tablespace and when the tablespace does not even exist it takes it as good as no modified pages and still goes ahead with the backup which would be a successful one still.

Regards,
    Sharath