Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Provided Answers: 18

Question Unanswered: Data Studio 3.1.1 on RHEL 6.2 "Unable to find supported browser"

RHEL 6.2 x64

Installing "IBM Data Studio 3.1.1" full client, on Linux, setup gives "Unable to find supported browser".

Firefox 10.0.5 is installed (/usr/bin/firefox) and runs fine.
    Firefox is on the supported browsers list, as far as I can see.

Same result when I have MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib64/firefox
    or BROWSER=/usr/bin/firefox

Any workarounds (apart from running DS 3.1.1 on Windows ) ?

Provided Answers: 1
    I remember a while ago there was a similar problem with one of the IBM installers, not sure now what product that was - the pattern match in the installer script was looking for [3-9] in the Mozilla major version number, and I had to edit the regexp to get past that. I suspect that the same installer launcher may be used for IDS as well.

I modified launchpad/browser.sh supportedFirefoxVersion() function.

This allowed firefox to open but the installation cannot start ( missing /lib/ld-linux.so.2 ).

yum install ld-linux.so.2
    yum install libgcc_s.so.1

But the installation does not begin (there are no errors on browser-screen or on the console).

The Infocenter for DS 3.1 states that for RHEL 6 the bitness must be 32-bit. - this seems to be the root cause.

So there is no pure 64-bit DS 3.1.1 as yet.

Since I have no 32-bit Linux environments (all my Linux environments are 64-bit) it appears that I am forced to run DS 3.1.1 on Windows. Shame!

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm actually running Data Studio 3.1 on 64-bit RHEL 6. I don't recall any issues apart from that browser compatibility thing during installation.

Did you personally install the RHEL 6.x software?
    Perhaps your RHEL already had all required 32-bit objects installed.
    I believe that 32-bit libraries are necessary, but I don't know how to find a full list of them that are necessary. I only installed the 32-bit objects that the loader stated were missing (for which error messages appeared), but evidently more are needed (although I get no error messages).
    It seems to me that IBM needs to deliver a pure 64-bit Data-Studio at some point.

Workaround to get Data Studio version 3.1.1 running on RHEL 6.2 (santiago) X64.

Data Studio 3.1.1, Needs a 32-bit browser, 32-bit jre, 32-bit browser plugin, various 32-bit shared libraries.

--> Install 32-bit browser (firefox 13) to /opt/firefox13
    --> Install 32-bit jre 1.7 update 4
    --> Symlink /opt/firefox13/plugins/libnpjp2.so -> /usr/java/jre1.7.0_04/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
    --> Ensured about:config has the java plugin enabled = true.

edit browser.sh -allow Firefox 1x ( workaround "Unable to find supported browser" )

yum install the following (were not present on this x64 environment):
    ld-linux.so.2
    libgc_s.so.1
    glibc.i686
    libstdc++.so.6
    libXul.so (also installs many dependent packages)
    libXtst.so.6
    gtk2-engines.i686

(as root) setup will now install DS3.1.1 - use all default options.

/opt/IBM/DS3.1.1/eclipse will then open successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by db2mor View Post
    /opt/IBM/DS3.1.1/eclipse will then open successfully.
    Stumbled upon that yesterday trying to install db2 + data studio on my 64-cylinder CentOS vehicle.
    [fulminate]
    Why O why can't IBM use the JVM already installed on the system? Yes I know, IBM builds their own JVM and it is very nice and good but when you've got already java installed on you server it MUST be possible to use that JVM to drive your DataStudio product (if not you make it work IBM). If you sence during install that there is no JVM present then you go and add your own JVM to the system. That was what JAVA was all about!
    [/fulminate]
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Not all jvm's behave the same...

Some enterprise apps bundle a specific version+bitness of a jvm because that's what's been tested, known to work, can be supported more effectively etc.

Also, the bitness is important: many IBM apps simply do not yet work with 64-bit JVMs, or Java 7 etc.

IBM DB2 only supports SLES/RHES. They natively install the original sun/oracle one or openJDK. How hard can it be for IBM to support those?
    They should be proud to say: "our java code runs on all known jvm's".
    But, to install 32-bit-libs to support JAVA is the pinnacle of irony.

Is that how we are suppose to forget about the control center (before v10 they installed the right version of their JVM without causing errors) and start using data studio?
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Ideally there would be one jvm, that would *always* work for every possible use.

Reality bites.

Eventually IBM will support (for all their portfolio) a 64-bit JVM, but I won't bet on a date!

But the historic and ongoing politics surrounding java might ensure that IBM continues to deliver their own jvm.

Yes IBM has not made it easy with the Data Studio 3.1.1 32-bit-only solution, particularly for Linux users (Flash is now end of life on Linux, and so IBM will be forced to dump it eventually) - impacting both DS and Performance Manager etc.

It all is becoming a real mess. WHERE did we (IT) go wrong ? : Browser(s), JVM(s) , plugin(s), add-on(s), 32-bit Operating system, 64-bit Operating system with 32-bit AND 63-bit application(s), HUGE eclipse installation(s), .... and let's indeed not forget ... Flash ... (and no, I am not flashing my b#tt-cr@ck(s) ..... )

It's always been this way...Plus ça change

Remember the transition from 8-bit to 16-bit? So few apps, mostly all assembly language. Only affected the geeks.

Remember the transition from 16-bit to 32-bit. Many more apps. Lots of pain for some enterprises.

The transition from 32-bit to 64-bit is taking much longer because of the massive number of apps on the 32-bit architectures, and also because Microsoft's WOW32 is fit for purpose.

More chaos on Linux, it seems, for the x86 to x64 , at least for some distributions.

When the 128-bit plugins start arriving , for specific adapaters, I expect lots more pain, but the gain is always worthwhile to some.

It's always been this way...
    ... I expect lots more pain, but the gain is always worthwhile to some.
    Old-Timer Erwin here.. so oh yes, I surely remember assembler and a few bits :-)
    BUT, simply accepting pain, "just because it's always been this way" ?
    No way ! That isn't (quality) progress ..... that's accepting 'back to the stone-age' -

If IBM / DB2 wants to make us stop using the old crap DB2 Control Center, surely by now (after at least 1,5 years), they should be able to deliver a DataStudio (3.1.1 allready !!!!) that installs and fully operates on a 64-bits system out-of-the-box. THE LEAST ONE COULD EXPECT IS..... document the prerequisites, installation guidelines etc.
    My guess is, many of us have spent DAYS getting (any) DS version up and running .... or not at all :-(

Ah well, as long as our bosses / customers pay our bills , I can see the humor in IT : It's my child too, but still in kinder-garten :-)
    Last edited by ErwinHaTsoF; 08-22-12 at 17:54.

Is getting DS 3.1.1 working on a Windows platform really that hard ?

Yes it's rotten on a 64-bit Linux environment, but so very few people (I suspect) are impacted (compared to the numbers of people using Windows platforms to hoist such fat clients) ?

Go beat up on IBM on the developerworks forums for DS 3.1.1 perhaps?

Is getting DS 3.1.1 working on a Windows platform really that hard ?
    Go beat up on IBM on the developerworks forums for DS 3.1.1 perhaps?
    1)
    On Windows 64- bit, No problem with DS 3.1.1 Before that version ? a pain in the a$$
    2)
    Being a member of the DB2 Customer Advisory Council (CAC), and developWorks I surely did and will !