Unanswered: How to encrypt the result of a select statement?

I want to export the data from a database and place it on a csv file to be imported to another database. However, I want some columns from the selected data (result of select statement) to be encrypted. What should I do? Is this possible? How do you decrypt the data during import?

The original data is from an MS SQL database to be transferred to a PostgreSQL database.

MS SQL ----- CSV (some columns are encrypted) ---- PostgreSQL (all columns decrypted)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS.
    I posted the same question on the mysql category. I wanted to delete it since I just realized today that I posted it on the wrong category but seems like there is no way I can delete. Sorry

Provided Answers: 54
    There are many possible choices for exporting the SQL data to an encrypted file. For the most part, it is much easier to encrypt the entire file than it is do only encrypt a portion of the file.

Once you expose the data from your server to the file system, you no longer have a secure transfer chain (think of the legal "chain-of-evidence") because the file system is open to so many kinds of attack.

I would suggest that you reconsider using files, if you can arrange a point-to-point transfer, then you can have a secure transfer. If your PostGre-SQL configuration can be made secure, then you can have true end-to-end secure data transfer.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

CYBERFUSION?

Home
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.