Unanswered: Calculated Field Not Calculating

i am trying to make what should be a very simple calculated expression in my EMPLOYEE INFORMATION table:

[HRS WEEKLY]+[HRS_2]+[HRS_3]+[HRS_4]

However, it comes back as empty. If i only do the first 2 fields [HRS WEEKLY]+[HRS_2] to calculate, i do get some results back, but any filed in HRS_2 that is null, leaves the calculation as null.

it should not be this difficult for Access to calculate the total number of hours for all 4 data fields, so that I can have one auto calculated result field. I desperately need this as some of my employees don't seem to accurately calculate the numbers to enter them into the Total HPW field.

CAN ANYONE HELP? WHAT AM I MISSING?

Provided Answers: 59
    I would have expected Access to handle that, but what you may need to do is use the NZ function

Code:
    = nz([HRS WEEKLY],0) + nz([HRS_2],0) + nz([HRS_3],0) + nz([HRS_4],0)
    Last edited by healdem; 06-15-12 at 04:09. Reason: forgot toput the terminating /code tag
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks, tried but didn't work

I ENTERED THE FOLLOWING INTO THE EXPRESSION BUILDER:

Nz([HRS_WEEKLY],0]+Nz([HRS_2],0)+Nz([HRS_3],0)+Nz([HRS_4],0)

AND THIS IS THE MESSAGE THAT I GOT BACK:

THE EXPRESSION Nz([HRS_WEEKLY],0]+Nz([HRS_2],0)+Nz([HRS_3],0)+Nz([HRS_4],0) CANNOT BE USED IN A CALCULATED COLUMN

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

Lemme guess. You're doing this in the table, right? You're setting the value of the field (whatever name it is) to equal the sum of 4 other fields? IF I read you right, all you're missing now is an equals sign "=" in the beginning of the calculation, as in
    Code:
    = Nz([HRS_WEEKLY],0]+Nz([HRS_2],0)+Nz([HRS_3],0)+Nz([HRS_4],0)
    If this is not the case, would you please give us a hint what you're doing with this calculation?

Thanks,
    Sam