Question Unanswered: HELP! I have a ASP/Access based CMS but need to convert to MS SQL

HELP! I have a ASP/Access based CMS (content management system) but need to convert it to MS SQL database.
    I'm not a web developer, but I do have a passable knowledge of ASP that I have picked up from altering and adjusting this CMS that I co-authored with a friend of mine years ago.

I mostly build small or medium sized websites and use this CMS as a way that the owner can adjust the content themselves.

I have a new client who had already purchased hosting that came with a MS Sql database on the host (not in use currently). This hosting does not support Access databases.

1)I need to somehow convert my CMS ASP code to work with Ms Sql.

2)I need to build the Ms Sql database structure itself

Is there an easy way to do this? I have not got a clue about how to do this.
    A friend of mine seems to think that the basic code of the ASP used for this CMS will stay the same apart from the Database Connection Code.

I've been told that to build the database fields I need to use command lines or a control panel of some sort.
    Can anyone recommend an easy and straight forward way to do this?

Any estimates on how long you think it would take me to do this? As I might just get them to change the hosting package to another company where I can carry on using the ASP/Access Im used to, although really I should upgrade my knowledge to Ms Sql.

An example of the current CMS working for another client is available here:
    Lunasea Collective UK - Industrial Electro Dance : Dub Reggae Hip Hop Punk Soul

The new website I'm working on is:
    Coaching To Grow - Life Coaching Farnham Surrey UK
    At the moment there is just a template website design homepage built in HTML5 and CSS3 (and some javascript) but it is not using any ASP or anything right now. I'm basicly at the point where I'm ready to start adding in the CMS

Try this tool to help convert (migrate Access) to SQL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ablaze-Rich View Post
    2)I need to build the Ms Sql database structure itself

Thanks Corncrowe,
    Do you think that all I need to do is build the Access database the way I want and then use this tool?
    Do I need to put some content in the fields? I guess I should just stick in some basic stuff that I know I need.

Also,

In Access it is possible to have multiple Tables in the same DB. Can you do this in Ms Sql too?
    For instance I usually have 'Main Pages' 'Articles' 'Links' and then a separate DB for users. Could I put Users in with these three and then would all four be recognised by the Migration tool?

I'll do a test run and see what happens

Also
    Does anyone know what obvious bits are going to need to be changed in my CMS? Can I just simply do a find and replace?

And what is the Database connection code for Ms Sql?

Thanks again!

Rich

Progress Thus Far:

I've installed that program you recommended.

I'm trying to change an existing Access DB to Ms SQL, but the software screws up on when it trys to connect to the server.

I have spoken with the hosting company and they said that cos its a shared server I won't be able to get in that way.

They also said that I need to create the DB locally and then upload it to there server.

1: Problem How do you use the Migration Software Locally?

I found in the help documentation (of the mitgration software that you recommended) that if I wish to use it locally I simply type a '.' or 'localhost' I've tried both these and they don't work.

Q:
    Any ideas why? OR anyone have another idea of how to get around this?

2: Another Thought/Question - How do you edit Ms Sql Locally?

What do people do to create tables in Ms Sql normally (forget the Access DB and just do it from scratch)? Is there an easy way to do this locally? As I am able to upload it. I might be quicker just copying and pasting and recreating the tables and fields, (as there isn't really that much info in the DB at the moment.)

I've downloaded a back up of the Ms Sql file the server automaticallly generates when you set one up in the control panel (but it only lets you give it a name and password there)

Thank you for your kind support! Regards Rich

I used the tool just to extract the table definitions. I found the tool useful, but not great. My next step was to create an SSIS package which built the tables for me. I then had another container which did the import. My last container did cleanup stuff. If you have a small access database then you can do the conversion either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ablaze-Rich View Post
    Progress Thus Far:

I've installed that program you recommended.

I'm trying to change an existing Access DB to Ms SQL, but the software screws up on when it trys to connect to the server.

What do people do to create tables in Ms Sql normally (forget the Access DB and just do it from scratch)? Is there an easy way to do this locally? As I am able to upload it. I might be quicker just copying and pasting and recreating the tables and fields, (as there isn't really that much info in the DB at the moment.)

Thank you for your kind support! Regards Rich

I'm sorry mate but I'm a bit of a newbie to the SQL world. I don't know what you mean by "SSIS package which built the tables for me. I then had another container which did the import. My last container did cleanup stuff."

Really I'm a designer who happens to have got a passing knowledge of ASP and Access database's but that is just cos I've worked with a developer using them in the past and had a copy of a cms that we built together.

I'm kinda finding all this a bit beyond me. Is there an easy, step by step guide to sorting this out?

Do I have to make my computer a local SQL server? I don't know if you can with windows XP??

Thanks